VP, Sales Operations at Planet
Welcome to Planet. We believe in using space to help life on Earth.
Planet designs, builds, and operates the largest constellation of imaging satellites in history. This constellation delivers an unprecedented dataset of empirical information via a revolutionary cloud-based platform to authoritative figures in commercial, environmental, and humanitarian sectors. We are both a space company and data company all rolled into one.
Customers and users across the globe use Planet's data to develop new technologies, drive revenue, power research, and solve our world’s toughest obstacles.
As we control every component of hardware design, manufacturing, data processing, and software engineering, our office is a truly inspiring mix of experts from a variety of domains.
We have a people-centric approach toward culture and community and we strive to iterate in a way that puts our team members first and prepares our company for growth. Join Planet and be a part of our mission to change the way people see the world.
Planet is headquartered in San Francisco, California, Earth.
The VP of Sales Operations will manage and provide strategic direction to the Sales Operations function in support of our broader sales organization. The ideal candidate will possess a broad understanding of enterprise SaaS sales & be an expert at managing a world-class deal desk. They will also have expertise in system implementation and process refinements that directly impact sales business and operations functions. They will be data-driven, detail-oriented, customer-focused, and intellectually curious. They’ll thrive in a highly dynamic environment while implementing the necessary processes and tools to advance best practices for our organization.
The VP of Sales Operations will be responsible for:
- Customer first approach
- A growth mindset and strong people development focus to; build, nurture and support a talented and rapidly evolving Sales Ops organization.
- Highly collaborative and inclusive leadership style, able to work together with adjacent teams, senior leaders and Execs to drive the business forward together as one team.
- Planning & Forecasting: Work with the CCO & regional sales leadership to design the field quota/coverage model, drive the annual business planning process which includes defining coverage model, setting and deploying quotas and managing critical sales initiatives.
- Deal Desk Management: Support field sales on pricing, deal structuring, product configuration, and business terms to drive agreement closure, including end-to-end deal review process and ensuring compliance with published sales and business approval policies.
- Execution: Manage day-to-day operational tasks, including but not limited to Salesforce.com database quality and optimization of sales execution workflow. Improve processes and increase efficiencies for the sales organization as well as for the sales operations group. Establish processes, sales policies, business requirements, and data governance to ensure accurate forecasting. Identify and execute on pipeline and sales efficiency initiatives.
- Sales Compensation: Help develop and manage variable compensation plan, including understanding sales behaviors and gathering field input. Contribute to managing bonus structures and spiffs.
- Sales Enablement: Provide vision, guidance, resources to the Sales Enablement team to optimize effectiveness of the Sales team.
Benefits While Working at Planet:
- Comprehensive Health Plan
- Wellness program and onsite massages in specific offices
- Flexible Time Off
- Recognition Programs
- Commuter Benefits
- Learning and Tuition Reimbursement
- Parental Leave
- Offsites and Happy Hours
- Volunteering Benefits
Some Press About Us:
Our CEO, Will Marshall featured on TED and featured in a Planet Blog
“Planet: Bringing Space Back Down to Earth”
Tiny, privately owned satellites are changing how we view the Earth features in NBC News
“Planet And Rocket Lab Create Mission Patch To Honor Women In Aerospace” —Planet Blog
Why we care so much about Belonging.
We’re dedicated to helping the whole Planet, and to do that we must strive to represent all of it within each of our offices and on all of our teams. That’s why Planet is guided by an ultimate north star of Belonging, dreaming big as we approach our ongoing work with diversity, equity and inclusion. If this job intrigues you, but you’re thinking you might not have all the qualifications, please... do apply! At Planet, we are looking for well-rounded people from around the world who can contribute to more ways than just what is listed in this job description. We don’t just fill positions, we aspire to fulfill people’s careers, most excited about folks who are motivated by our underlying humanitarian efforts. We are a few orbits around the sun before we get to where we want to be, so we hope you’re excited to come along for the ride.