Features Editor, LEVEL at Medium
Sorry, this job was removed at 11:04 a.m. (PST) on Thursday, January 23, 2020
Medium’s mission is to help people deepen their understanding of the world and discover ideas that matter. We are building a place where ideas are judged on the value they provide to readers, not the fleeting attention they can attract for advertisers. We are creating the best place for reading and writing on the internet—a place where today’s smartest writers, thinkers, experts, and storytellers can share big, interesting ideas.
We are looking for a highly curious and experienced features editor with strong knowledge of the lives of men of color. This candidate will work closely with the deputy editor and editor-in-chief on our new publication focused on identity, culture, and real life.
The role requires someone who is skilled at story-idea generation and knows how to pair it with an outstanding writer. The features editor should bring with them a network of great writers. In addition to a love of reading, this person should have a healthy obsession with metrics and have strong cross-functional communication skills. The ideal features editor thinks nonstop about the reader, and has a good sense of how to deliver them stories they will want.
This person will deliver excellent broad-interest and timely stories. They have structured and engaging ways to frame narratives. They're pairing unique stories with outstanding writers and pushing them to craft better pieces. They have an instinct for finding the untold story, pay close attention to social climates, and are proponents of real life over “lifestyle.”
What you'll do
- Conceive, assign, and edit various stories per week on subjects that fall within the publication's interests
- Commission features of various lengths on subjects including race, identity, culture, and real life
- Establish an editorial calendar, in concert with the deputy editor, of upcoming features and special packages
- Bring new ideas to work every day
- Bring in great stories by established and emerging writers
- Write stories as needed for special packages
- Support junior staff members and freelance writers on story packaging, including display copy
Who you are
- You have 10+ years of editing experience in the field of journalism
- You can identify and solicit ideas from great writers you don’t yet know and turn them into standout pieces
- You engage with the process of packaging stories and projects for maximum impact—from headline to art to SEO optimization, social strategy and analytics review
- You’re comfortable working in a startup environment
- You are an ideas machine with a keen sense of what people want to read
- You solve problems quickly
- You’re a straightforward and effective communicator
- You are willing to deviate from your day-to-day in the interest of the team
- You are a curious reader with excellent taste and judgment
- You believe that good stories can come from anywhere
Interested? We would love to hear from you.
This position is based in New York or San Francisco. At Medium, we foster an inclusive, supportive, fun yet challenging team environment. We value having a team that is made up of a diverse set of backgrounds and respect the healthy expression of diverse opinions. We embrace experimentation and the examination of all kinds of ideas through reasoning and testing. Come join us as we continue to change the world of digital media.
Medium is an equal opportunity employer.
Read Full Job Description