Features Editor, Marker
Medium’s mission is to help people deepen their understanding of the world and discover ideas that matter. We are building a place where ideas are judged on the value they provide to readers, not the fleeting attention they can attract for advertisers. We are creating the best place for reading and writing on the internet—a place where today’s smartest writers, thinkers, experts, and storytellers can share big, interesting ideas.
At Medium, we are launching a new business publication that exists to serve readers and subscribers, not advertisers.
We are looking for an outstanding, experienced features editor. You will conceive, assign and edit ambitious features, essays, and columns—our “cover stories.” The right features editor for our business publication is forward-thinking, tuned in to the companies and people that matter, creative, and enterprising.
This is a role for an ideas person who is confident working with writers at the top of their game; dedicated to finding the perfect story framing, and driven to take each and every story to the next level. We want someone who has a keen eye for the narratives of business, the insights of economics, the challenges of entrepreneurship, the art of work, and the responsibilities of management. We want someone who can ask the right questions to develop superior features across those topic areas, and help identify trends and storylines in business as they grow from niche stories into broader societal discussion and cultural awareness.
You have exquisite taste and an instinctive feel for what’s in the zeitgeist. You’re an omnivorous consumer of information, and you have distinct ideas about how to stand out in a crowded field, and offer coverage that’s well-reported, thoughtful, and makes readers smarter.
You have exceptional people skills, love working with writers, and can juggle multiple tasks and assignments.
What will you do?
- Conceive, assign, and edit several stories per week—of various lengths, and on subjects across the spectrum of our areas of coverage
- Field pitches from freelancers and staffers, and help writers hone their ideas
- Work mostly with freelance writers, but also sometimes with authors and non-journalists from academia, business, the arts, politics, and public life
- Bring new ideas to work every single day, and help colleagues develop and advance their ideas
- Work closely with colleagues across our digital newsroom to deliver high-impact collaborative projects and themed packages
Who are you?
- You have 10+ years of editing experience in journalism
- You have a track record of assigning and editing breakthrough, conversation-starting, reported and idea-based features
- You have a stable of great writers that you have worked with, or can approach to write for us
- You can solicit ideas from writers you don’t yet know, and help them frame and hone their stories
- You don’t want the story that has already been done, or that everyone will do; but you are always looking for a fresh way into the big conversations of the day
- You engage with the process of packaging stories and projects for maximum impact—from headline to art to SEO optimization and social strategy
- You’re comfortable working in a startup environment
- You like to tackle problems quickly, rather than let them linger
- You’re a great teammate and you’ll work with colleagues and leadership across departments to make us better
- You’re a straightforward and effective communicator
- You believe that good stories can come from anywhere
Interested? We would love to hear from you.
This position is based in New York or San Francisco. At Medium, we foster an inclusive, supportive, fun yet challenging team environment. We value having a team that is made up of a diverse set of backgrounds and respect the healthy expression of diverse opinions. We embrace experimentation and the examination of all kinds of ideas through reasoning and testing. Come join us as we continue to change the world of digital media.
Medium is an equal opportunity employer.
Read Full Job Description