Senior Staff Database Engineer at Udemy
| San Francisco
Sorry, this job was removed at 11:09 a.m. (PST) on Wednesday, January 22, 2020
Udemy is the leading global marketplace for teaching and learning, connecting students everywhere to the world’s best online classes. We are looking for a Senior Staff Engineer to join our Datastore Infrastructure Engineering Team. With a commitment to innovation, we embrace automation and agile culture, love technical challenges and are eager to adopt new technologies and tools.
We are responsible for all aspects of MySQL, Redis Enterprise, Memcached, Cassandra and RabbitMQ datastores and proxies like ProxySQL and MCRouter across environments including production. Our primary tools are Terraform, Ansible, Atlantis, Datadog, Percona Management Tools, Github and Python.
We value teamwork, good humor, strong sense of ownership, technological curiosity, and a desire to learn. You will work with a wide range of relational and NoSQL data sources, improving reliability, consistency and performance of our growing datastore ecosystem.
Here’s what you’ll be doing:
- Participate in architecture and implementation of reliable, scalable, fault tolerant, and performant distributed database systems with self-healing abilities
- Automate routine database administration tasks
- Constantly increase datastores resiliency and automation
- Develop and enhance datastore production environment observability, monitoring and management capabilities using a mix of proven and cutting edge technologies
- Mentor SRE and application developers on datastore infrastructure scalability and performance best practices
- Work with security engineers to meet data security, auditability and encryption standards
- Develop self-service tools and applications for our engineering community
- Perform code reviews and answer datastore related infrastructure questions
- Participate in On-Call rotation
We’re excited about you because you have:
- Experience designing, building and operating distributed datastore systems with hundreds of nodes
- Expert-level knowledge, administration skills and hands on experience with one or more of the following datastores: MySQL, Redis, Cassandra, RabbitMQ, Memcached, Cassandra
- Solid software engineering skills with proficiency in at least one of programming languages like Python (preferred), Java or Go
- Strong knowledge of infrastructure automation and configuration management tools such as Terraform, Ansible, Saltstack or Puppet
- Working experience with containers and building container images
- Experience with container orchestrators such as Kubernetes or Mesos Marathon
- Experience with automated testing and continuous integration when dealing with infrastructure as code for stateful services (e.g. Molecule, Atlantis)
- Strong communication skills, ability to collaborate with other teams and participate in cross-team troubleshooting processes
- Good understanding of Linux/Unix fundamentals and debugging skills
- 8+ years experience managing large-scale database systems, including significant experience in Cloud and/or hybrid environments
We are responsible for all aspects of MySQL, Redis Enterprise, Memcached, RabbitMQ datastores and proxies like ProxySQL and MCRouter across environments including production. Our primary tools are Terraform, Ansible, Atlantis, Datadog, Percona Management Tools, Github and Python. We value teamwork, good humor, strong sense of ownership, technological curiosity, and a desire to learn.
We believe anyone can build the life they imagine through online learning. Today, more than 40 million students around the world are advancing their careers and passions by exploring and mastering new skills on Udemy, and expert instructors are able to share their knowledge with the world. Through our global marketplace and our solutions for businesses and governments, we connect people everywhere with the skills they need for success in work and life. We’re a close-knit bunch that enjoys problem-solving and collaboration, and we share a serious belief in the power of learning and teaching to change lives. Udemy’s culture encourages innovation, creativity, passion, and teamwork. We also celebrate our milestones and support each other every day.
Founded in 2010, Udemy is privately owned and headquartered in San Francisco’s SOMA neighborhood with offices in Denver (Colorado), Dublin (Ireland), Ankara (Turkey), and São Paulo (Brazil).
Udemy in the News:
The Key To Solving Future Skills Challenges
Algorithms are coming for their jobs, so workers are teaching themselves algorithms
Distractions Are Costing Companies Millions. Here's Why 66 Percent of Workers Won't Talk About It
How Soft Skills Can Help You Get Ahead in a Tech World
Read Full Job Description