Do you want to change the world? Zipline uses drones to deliver critical and lifesaving medicine to thousands of hospitals serving millions of people in multiple countries. Our mission is to provide every human on Earth with instant access to vital medical supplies. Join Zipline and help us make this a reality for billions of people.About You and The Role
Are you an experienced aerodynamicist who is passionate about novel aircraft that will operate day and night, in all weather, delivering vital medical supplies? Are you excited to join our aircraft and systems engineering team to own aircraft design, performance analysis, aerodynamic analysis, propeller design, flight testing and more? Do you do your best work when you are solving system-level problems in a dynamic environment while operating independently as a member of a small multi-disciplinary team? To succeed in this role you will require both the experience and skills to inform and influence stakeholders across the multiple subsystems you own. We will rely on you to readily identify and explain the right tool for any given task, understanding the trade offs being made between time to solution, cost of design, and complexity of implementation. Finally, you have to love making things fly well and extracting the critical data required to inform your next design decision.What You'll Do
- Low fidelity analytic, moderate, and high fidelity modeling of vehicle subsystems
- Aerodynamic database generation and analysis
- Multivariate trade studies regarding system design and presentation of results
- Support a multidisciplinary team including controls, mechanical, production, software, and electrical engineers to tackle design challenges and resolve time sensitive issues
- Clean sheet and existing vehicle design analysis: aerodynamic, propulsion, and power system performance
- Building a clean sheet design through flight tests and into industrial production
- Generating aerodynamic databases, low and high fidelity aerodynamic modeling
- Wind tunnel test planning, execution, and data analysis
- Flight test planning, execution, and data analysis
- Autopilot control system design and analysis
- Familiarity with electric aircraft systems
- Applied aeroacoustics
- Aerodynamic vehicle design
- Lifting line, vortex lattice, panel methods, Navier-Stokes CFD
- Familiarity with unmanned aircraft systems and operations
- Familiarity with autopilot and flight control design is desirable
- Statistically driven automated flight data reduction
- Experience in programming MATLAB, Python, Julia
Must have work authorization to work in the US.
Zipline is an equal opportunity employer and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion or religious creed, mental or physical disability, medical condition, genetic information, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, marital status, military or veteran status, citizenship, or other characteristics protected by state, federal or local law or our other policies.
We value diversity at Zipline and welcome applications from those who are traditionally underrepresented in tech. If you like the sound of this position but are not sure if you are the perfect fit, please apply!