Avionics Test Engineer at Zipline
Do you want to change the world? Zipline uses drones to deliver critical and lifesaving medicine to thousands of hospitals serving millions of people in multiple countries. Our mission is to provide every human on Earth with instant access to vital medical supplies. We believe that where you live should not decide whether you live.
About You and the Role
As Zipline’s Avionics Test Engineer you will have the unique opportunity to design, develop, and deploy high quality test systems for our next-generation avionics systems. Through developing these tests you will gain a deep understanding of our full hardware stack including flight computers, power distribution boards, battery management systems, motor controllers, and radios. You will own these components from early prototype design all the way to field root-cause, driving schedules, managing vendors and bridging cross-functional teams around a reliability focus. Most importantly, all of this work you will take on will be the last line of defence before our vehicles are shipped all over the world to perform vital deliveries. Do you have what it takes?RESPONSIBILITIES
- Design and deploy test infrastructure spanning all electronics in our vehicle from flight computers to battery management systems
- Develop a deep understanding of electronic components under test, becoming a subject matter expert in the device behavior under a range of environmental and system conditions
- Coordinate cross-functional teams and external vendors to deploy high quality test system deliverables in a timely manner
- Drive end-to-end test campaigns from design validation through to qualification, production automation, and pre-flight testing.
- Triage and root-cause field failures, using data analysis, test heritage, correlation to operating conditions, and one-off test campaigns.
- Develop automation software scripts to streamline design and production testing.
- 3+ years in design, development, or testing electronic hardware for high-reliability environments.
- Experience developing automation systems (hardware and software) for use in safety-critical applications.
- Experience developing test plans from varying degrees of engineering specifications
- Experience using and deep understanding of common test instrumentation and sensors.
- Experience programming in basic Python, or C/C++ scripts and familiarity with the software development process
- Experience setting up and monitoring long duration testing including HALT, vibration testing, thermal testing, and shock testing.
- Experience designing PCBAs from schematic design and layout to ordering and validation
- Experience solving complex multidisciplinary problems with little supervision on schedule as an individual or as a member of an integrated team
- **Must have work authorization to work in the US**