Blend makes the process of getting a loan simpler, faster, and safer. With its digital lending platform, Blend helps financial institutions including Wells Fargo and U.S. Bank increase productivity and deliver exceptional customer experiences. The company processes nearly $2 billion in loans daily, helping millions of consumers gain access to the capital they need to lead better lives.
Blend is in a very interesting phase right now. We’re no longer a startup that’s just building a product as quickly as possible. Now, it's a balance between moving fast, but also having a more long term view of how our software needs to be architected. We want to take Blend, which has found product-market fit in a market that has infinite possibilities and scale it 50x. Blend is looking for an experienced engineering manager to lead a critical part of the Platform. The Lending Platform team is one of the core horizontal platform teams that provides the foundational components for the entire of Blend engineering to build microservices. We provide a scalable system that enables product teams to build new features with speed and quality.
The Lending Platform Team provides the fundamental services and shared libraries that other engineers need to build services. The team is also responsible for driving the long term architecture for the company and is currently carving out utility services (e.g. Email Service, File Storage Service) that speeds up the monolith to microservices migration for the company. We do a lot of experimenting with new technologies and frameworks, mapping these to relevant problem spaces in the company and then providing utilities to ease the adoption of such technologies by other engineering teams (e.g. testing out Kafka right now). We also establish standards for engineering practices like code quality, accepted patterns, frameworks etc, and frequently provide guidance around their usage.
Your role will be to support, grow, and advise the software engineers that report to you. You will also collaborate with product, design, and other relevant teams to define and hit key company and engineering goals.
How you'll contribute:
- Guide a team of talented software engineers and help them achieve a high degree of technical excellence
- Help engineers grow and meet their career goals, and set the pace for the team
- Recruit top-tier talent as the team grows
- Encourage a healthy work environment that’s both supportive, challenging and inclusive for all
- Partner closely with other engineering teams to understand platform implications, identify dependencies and shape the team’s roadmap
Who you are:
- 2+ years professional experience managing software developers
- 5+ years as an engineer working with production software at scale
- Shown ability to collaborate with other engineering teams and business stakeholders
- Strong advocacy and communication skills
- Strong project management skillsStrong technical background
- Experience in managing platform teams
- Experience in platform projects concerning developer productivity, breaking up monoliths into microservices, Infrastructure stability
Benefits and Perks:
- Meaningful equity and a 401(k) plan
- Comprehensive health benefits
- Sponsored gym memberships, ClassPass credits, or wellness stipend
- Lunch, dinner, snacks, and Pizza Fridays
- On-site meditation, yoga, and massage
- Flexible work schedule, with open vacation policy
- 4 months of paid parental or personal leave
- Convenient location, with parking programs, and flexible commuter options
Blend is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity, inclusion and belonging. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status disability status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We will consider for employment all qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records in a manner consistent with applicable law, including the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Notice at Collection for California Applicants
Read Full Job Description