Do you want to change the world? Zipline uses drones to deliver critical and lifesaving medicine to thousands of hospitals serving millions of people in multiple countries. Our mission is to provide every human on Earth with instant access to vital medical supplies. Join Zipline and help us make this a reality for billions of people.About You and The Role
Are you a passionate mechanical engineer with deep experience in battery pack design? We are embarking on the next generation battery pack design pushing limits of power density. This design will combine novel innovation with field proven industry standards to produce the drone battery of the future - at the intersection of range, flight performance, safety, cost and longevity, our battery pack plays a central role in our mission. This is the opportunity to own the mechanical design, thermodynamics, fluid dynamics, and manufacturing ramp.
Zipline is at the forefront of a logistics revolution: We design, manufacture, and operate our own fleet of autonomous drones to make deliveries of vital medical supplies to people in need within minutes, 7 days a week. Today, we fly the equivalent of twice around the equator every week. In a few months, we'll be doing that once a day, and by the end of 2021, once every hour.
Zipline was founded by engineers dedicated to making the world a better place. We are scaling around the world and are looking for a talented engineer to join the team.What You'll Do
- Architect our next generation battery pack - cell layout, thermal solution, structural components, interface with the vehicle
- Drive simple, elegant solutions to complex problems that will help save lives every day
- Meet aggressive mass, environmental, packaging volume and thermal requirements
- Close loop with prototype, simulate, test, and iterate on a design
- Prove performance through validation and reliability testing
- Mechanical expertise in production battery design at volume
- Thermal analysis that brings industry best practices and core physics to design a reliable, simple, lightweight battery
- Experience with hand calcs, CFD for internal and external flow, FEA and the expertise of when to use each
- Working knowledge using electrical components & microcontrollers
- History of solving complex multidisciplinary problems on schedule with little supervision
Nice to Have
- Powertrain design expertise for high power high efficiency electric drive systems
- Experienced design to aerospace or automotive level validation standards
What Else You Need To Know
Zipline is an equal opportunity employer and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws or our own sensibilities.
We value diversity at Zipline and welcome applications from those who are traditionally underrepresented in tech. If you like the sound of this position but are not sure if you are the perfect fit, please apply!
If you’d like to learn more about Zipline and our teams, feel free to check out our Instagram, one of our Reddit AMA’s, or our website!