At Cisco Meraki, we know that technology can connect, empower, and drive us. Our mission is to simplify technology so our customers can focus on what's most meaningful to them: their students, patients, customers, and businesses. We’re making networking easier, faster, and smarter with technology that simply works. We maintain a positive relationship with Cisco that gives us the stability and resources of a larger company without sacrificing our startup vibe.
Our devices are some of the most popular in the world: there are over 6.8 million devices online globally. This popularity comes with large scalability challenges: our backend handles more than 10 billion of requests to our devices 24/7/365.About the role
In near real time, Cisco Meraki collects massive amounts of data from its devices all over the world. We write nearly 6 million data points each second globally every day. With this data, we help to power Dashboard and allow our customers insight into the state of their networks. As a member of the Backend team, you will develop, scale, and maintain our dashboard and the lower-layer services and infrastructure that power the data behind it. You will work with many different people within Engineering and throughout Cisco Meraki to help build the infrastructure and data pipelines to power their data-driven decisions.What you will do:
- Design, build, and maintain scalable data pipelines that ingest all the data that runs our dashboard.
- Ensure data consistency across various multi-region data centers by building custom replication solution for our relational datastore that houses the backbone of Meraki’s configuration data.
- Work with various groups within Cisco Meraki to understand their and our customers’ data requirements and requests.
- Add features to LittleTable (our custom time-series database that stores 100 of TB’s of data and is written to millions of times a second) to guarantee high performance across our geo-distributed customer base.
- Experience and passion for analyzing, scaling, and debugging large systems.
- Excitement for working with large data sets in real-time.
- Basic understanding of SQL, including experience working with one or more relational databases (e.g., PostgreSQL or MySQL).
- Experience in object-oriented and/or functional programming languages (e.g. Scala, Ruby, C++, Go).
- You take an focused, organized approach to development, testing, and quality.
- You're passionate about what you're doing and ignite people around you.
We encourage you to drop us a line even if you don’t have all the points above. That's a lot of different areas of responsibility! We will help you pick them up because we believe that great engineers come from diverse backgrounds.Bonus points for:
- Experience with web development or dev-ops tasks.
- Experience or willing to work in an agile environment (Scrum, Kanban, etc.).
- Personal projects or contributions to open-source projects.
We are passionate about building real products that our customers love. We are confident you will love it here.As a Cisco Meraki employee you can expect:
- A supportive and fun environment and a team that values your contributions. The Backend Group is called the Exploding Whales. Interested to learn why? Just message us.
- A lot of opportunities for professional and personal growth via employee-led groups. Check out one of our groups — Women of Meraki on Twitter and Instagram.
- Actionable and candid feedback on a regular basis following Radical Candor.
- Delicious catered meals every day and fully-stocked kitchens and all you can eat snacks.
- Paid time off to volunteer, and much more.
At Cisco Meraki, we’re challenging the status quo with the power of diversity, inclusion, and collaboration. When we connect different perspectives, we can imagine new possibilities, inspire innovation, and release the full potential of our people. We’re building an employee experience that includes appreciation, belonging, growth, and purpose for everyone.
Cisco is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, genetic information, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected basis. Cisco will consider for employment, on a case by case basis, qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.