Welcome to Planet. We believe in using space to help life on Earth.
Planet designs, builds, and operates the largest constellation of imaging satellites in history. This constellation delivers an unprecedented dataset of empirical information via a revolutionary cloud-based platform to authoritative figures in commercial, environmental, and humanitarian sectors. We are both a space company and data company all rolled into one.
Customers and users across the globe use Planet's data to develop new technologies, drive revenue, power research, and solve our world’s toughest obstacles.
As we control every component of hardware design, manufacturing, data processing, and software engineering, our office is a truly inspiring mix of experts from a variety of domains.
We have a people-centric approach toward culture and community and we strive to iterate in a way that puts our team members first and prepares our company for growth. Join Planet and be a part of our mission to change the way people see the world.
Planet is headquartered in San Francisco, California, Earth.
About the Role:
You will work on a small team of dedicated engineers responsible for the design of Planet’s satellites. This is not your typical aerospace or consumer electronics role. You will work on the end to end process of bringing a product from design to shipment, optimized for medium-scale mass production. You will design and optimize electrical compute, data handling, and embedded systems, both within the spacecraft and on ground support equipment. You will be responsible for PCB layout projects and interfacing with mechanical engineers to make sure that board mounting and thermal issues are addressed. You will conduct environmental and EMC testing on electrical subsystems and get them ready for flight. Your work will then be put in a rocket and shot into space.
Impact You’ll Own:
- Electrical design of compute and high speed electrical subsystems from requirements through architecture and detailed design
- Schematic capture, power/signal integrity simulations; guide and review layout design
- Bring up, debug and and validation of designs; support for integration testing
- Power supply design, power integrity checks, and design for EMC
- Support for manufacturing and qualification test development
What You Bring:
- 7+ years experience in taking designs from schematics to manufacturing
- Strong knowledge of electrical design for high speed signal integrity, high speed layout techniques, SI simulations, and EMC
- Experience with FPGA based designs
- Expertise with lab equipment including high speed oscilloscopes, logic analyzers, multimeters
- Strong solder rework skills
- Comfortable with embedded systems and peripheral interfaces (e.g, I2C, SPI, USB, CAN, PCIe, etc)
What Makes You Stand Out:
- Comfortable with Altium tools for PCB design
- Proficient with Hyperlynx SI or equivalent SI verification tools
- Working knowledge of scripting languages such as Python
Benefits While Working at Planet:
- Comprehensive Health Plan
- Wellness program and onsite massages in specific offices
- Flexible Time Off
- Recognition Programs
- Commuter Benefits
- Learning and Tuition Reimbursement
- Parental Leave
- Offsites and Happy Hours
- Volunteering Benefits
Some Press About Us:
Our CEO, Will Marshall featured on TED and featured in a Planet Blog
“Planet: Bringing Space Back Down to Earth”
Tiny, privately owned satellites are changing how we view the Earth features in NBC News
“Planet And Rocket Lab Create Mission Patch To Honor Women In Aerospace” —Planet Blog
Why we care so much about Belonging.
We’re dedicated to helping the whole Planet, and to do that we must strive to represent all of it within each of our offices and on all of our teams. That’s why Planet is guided by an ultimate north star of Belonging, dreaming big as we approach our ongoing work with diversity, equity and inclusion. If this job intrigues you, but you’re thinking you might not have all the qualifications, please... do apply! At Planet, we are looking for well-rounded people from around the world who can contribute to more ways than just what is listed in this job description. We don’t just fill positions, we aspire to fulfill people’s careers, most excited about folks who are motivated by our underlying humanitarian efforts. We are a few orbits around the sun before we get to where we want to be, so we hope you’re excited to come along for the ride.#LI-MI1