Senior GNC Engineer at Planet
Welcome to Planet. We believe in using space to help life on Earth.
Planet designs, builds, and operates the largest constellation of imaging satellites in history. This constellation delivers an unprecedented dataset of empirical information via a revolutionary cloud-based platform to authoritative figures in commercial, environmental, and humanitarian sectors. We are both a space company and data company all rolled into one.
Customers and users across the globe use Planet's data to develop new technologies, drive revenue, power research, and solve our world’s toughest obstacles.
As we control every component of hardware design, manufacturing, data processing, and software engineering, our office is a truly inspiring mix of experts from a variety of domains.
We have a people-centric approach toward culture and community and we strive to iterate in a way that puts our team members first and prepares our company for growth. Join Planet and be a part of our mission to change the way people see the world.
Planet is headquartered in San Francisco, California, Earth.
About the Role:
As a Guidance and Control Engineer, you will work on a small team of dedicated engineers responsible for the attitude determination and control subsystem of the Planet Labs satellites. Key functions include development and implementation of attitude determination and control algorithms, anomaly resolution, spacecraft telemetry trending, and generation/validation of operational products related to attitude determination. You will be responsible for performing technical analysis to support flight operations and inform design decisions for future spacecraft. You will assist in the development and analysis of new mission concepts and support the development of the state estimation and commanding system for a three axis stabilized spacecraft. You will also build ground testing equipment for concept validation and have the opportunity to take designs from scratch to space operation.
Impact You’ll Own:
- Hardware testing
- On-orbit operations
- Flight code development
What You Bring:
- Masters degree in Aerospace Engineering or related field
- At least 5 years of experience as an estimation/controls engineer or related position
- Practical experience developing production-quality real-time systems in C for microcontroller or embedded Linux target
- Experience with Matlab/Simulink
- Familiarity with software engineering tools and processes (version control, code review, regression testing)
- Ability to test, evaluate and guide ADCS hardware decisions
- Working knowledge of optimal state estimation and control theory, force and momentum formulations, numerical methods and 6-DOF simulations
- Ability to carry out first-principles analysis and derive control/estimation specifications
- Practical experience troubleshooting and debugging complex systems
- Propulsion expertise
- Willing to do hands-on experiments and testing
What Makes You Stand Out:
- Experience with STK, Python
- Established record of spacecraft project experience
- Experience in the design and calibration of low-cost sensors and actuators
- Basic understanding of orbital mechanics
- Experience in spacecraft or related flight operations
- Significant publications or conference presentations
Benefits While Working at Planet:
- Comprehensive Health Plan
- Wellness program and onsite massages
- Flexible Time Off
- Recognition Programs
- Commuter Benefits
- Learning and Tuition Reimbursement
- Parental Leave
- Offsites and Happy Hours
- Volunteering Benefits
Some Press About Us:
Our CEO, Will Marshall featured on TED and featured in a Planet Blog
“Planet: Bringing Space Back Down to Earth”
Tiny, privately owned satellites are changing how we view the Earth features in NBC News
“Planet And Rocket Lab Create Mission Patch To Honor Women In Aerospace” —Planet Blog
Why we care so much about Belonging.
We’re dedicated to helping the whole Planet, and to do that we must strive to represent all of it within each of our offices and on all of our teams. That’s why Planet is guided by an ultimate north star of Belonging, dreaming big as we approach our ongoing work with diversity, equity and inclusion. If this job intrigues you, but you’re thinking you might not have all the qualifications, please... do apply! At Planet, we are looking for well-rounded people from around the world who can contribute to more ways than just what is listed in this job description. We don’t just fill positions, we aspire to fulfill people’s careers, most excited about folks who are motivated by our underlying humanitarian efforts. We are a few orbits around the sun before we get to where we want to be, so we hope you’re excited to come along for the ride.#LI-MI1