Zipline is at the forefront of a logistics revolution: We design, manufacture, and operate our own fleet of autonomous drones to deliver vital medical supplies to people in need within minutes, 7 days a week. Today we deliver critical and lifesaving medicine to thousands of hospitals serving millions of people. Join Zipline and help us make this a reality for billions of people.
WHAT YOU'LL DO
- Propose, develop, and validate high-performance designs for multiple next-generation Zipline batteries that meet extremely aggressive specific energy, specific power, safety, and life-time cost requirements
- Apply CFD and FEA tools for model-based design of battery thermal and safety systems, working closely with cell and thermal modeling experts.
- Plan, execute, and assess both thermal performance tests and abuse tests to support design efforts and validate system performance.
- Work closely with systems engineers to explore trades of performance, mass, cost, reliability, etc. and identify the ideal battery design approach that optimizes the complete system.
- Own detail design through production, optimizing structural design to minimize mass, implementing design-for-manufacture best practices to minimize life-time cost, solving production challenges during manufacturing ramp, and streamlining production processes at scale.
WHAT YOU'LL BRING
- Drive to help people and make the world a better place.
- Passion for tackling insanely hard multidisciplinary problems.
- Exceptional collaboration skills and the ability to check your ego at the door.
- Knowledge of how it’s normally done, why it’s done that way, and when to do it differently.
- Experience using FEA and CFD tools to design thermal management solutions and solve structural problems.
- Broad knowledge of battery-relevant thermal management technologies.
- Mechanical expertise in production battery design at volume and application of design-for-manufacture best practices.
- Demonstrated CAD fluency and GD&T competence.
- Excellent communication - written, verbal, and visual. You know how to tailor to your audience with the right level of technical depth
- 5+ years of experience across these areas with a proven track record of success delivering high performance batteries and/or related technologies.
NICE TO HAVES
- Experience testing battery packs for thermal performance and abuse response.
- Deep expertise in advanced thermal modeling tools and methods.
- Experience designing to aerospace or automotive level validation standards.
WHAT ELSE YOU NEED TO KNOW
Zipline is an equal opportunity employer and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws or our own sensibilities.
We value diversity at Zipline and welcome applications from those who are traditionally underrepresented in tech. If you like the sound of this position but are not sure if you are the perfect fit, please apply!
If you’d like to learn more about Zipline and our teams, feel free to check out our Instagram, one of our Reddit AMA’s, or our website!