General Ledger Accountant at Varo Bank
| San Francisco
Sorry, this job was removed at 3:41 a.m. (PST) on Friday, March 12, 2021
Varo is an entirely new kind of bank. All digital, mission driven, FDIC insured, and designed for the way our customers live their lives.
We're on a mission to bring financial inclusion and opportunity to all hard-working Americans. Through our mobile app, we offer premium bank accounts that have no minimum balance requirement or monthly account fees, high-interest savings accounts, short term lending and solutions to help customers stretch their paycheck, build credit and start saving. Our tech-first products are designed to make money work for everyone and help customers and communities build greater financial resiliency.
Varo is distinct from other fintechs: we've made history as the first and only consumer fintech to be granted a full national bank charter by the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency (OCC).
Varo Bank represents the evolution of a new generation of banks that are born from innovation and built on technology to empower consumers and businesses.
Our team combines the best of both consumer tech and banking, and we’re wildly passionate about helping our customers. Our teams are based in San Francisco and Salt Lake City. Privately held, we've raised over $450M to date from leading institutional investors and strategic partners including Warburg Pincus, The Rise Fund / TPG Growth, Gallatin Point Capital, Harbourvest Partners, and Progressive Insurance.
Varo is entrepreneurial, collaborative, enthusiastic, customer-oriented, fast-paced, and multicultural. This is an open and relatively flat organization that puts an emphasis on collaboration, sharing ideas and information. For a relatively early stage company, Varo is grounded in a strong set of values and takes pride in the diversity of its employees and board.
ABOUT THE FINANCE TEAM
We’re a small but mighty team of four looking to add a motivated NetSuite expert and financial institutions specialist who wants to help build the bank of the future, learn all about digital banking and enjoy life at the forefront of Fintech.
We bring all the creativity and passion generated by everyone in design and marketing and engineering into an achievable strategic plan that walks the fine line between building the coolest Product and making sure we have a solid path to profitability that will delight our world-class investors. We love the cultural balance Varo has achieved between Silicon Valley technology and Wall Street financial services acumen.
WHAT YOU'LL DO
- Manage accounting activities towards accurate and timely reporting of the Company’s financials and close process in accordance with US GAAP standards, regulatory guidelines and company procedures
- Perform daily accounting operations, including cash management, revenue reconciliations, accounts receivable, accounts payable, fixed assets, payroll processing, and monthly close process
- Assist with annual financial statement audit
- Assist external tax firm with state and federal returns and compliance
- Manage local registration and tax reporting
- Input journal entries and assist with general ledger account reconciliations and ensure that account balances are fully reconciled
- Assist with disbursements including supporting payroll and accounts payable activities
- Ensure chart of accounts and cost centers are updated as necessary in accordance with change management requirements, including creating off-balance sheet and statistical accounts
- Create standardized and ad-hoc reporting in NetSuite
- Create templates and workflows in NetSuite for automation of entries and reporting
- Maintain fixed asset register and update as necessary
- Maintain vendor and accounts payable information and ensure prudent cash flow management and vendor payments
- Prepare flux analysis for balance sheet and income statement accounts
- Work effectively with cross functional business partners, including Finance, HR, Payroll, Legal, IT, Marketing and other teams.
- Manage corporate cash accounts and business filings with states
- Ad hoc general ledger projects and other duties as assigned
PREVIOUS EXPERIENCES THAT'LL HELP YOU BE GREAT
- Experience with NetSuite required
- Banking or Financial Institution Experience
- 3-5 years relevant experience in General Ledger accounting
- Bachelor of Science in Accounting or Finance
- Certified Public Accountant (Active status preferred)
- Highly detail-oriented with excellent time management, prioritization and organizational skills
- Strong analytical skills, efficient, and self-motivated with the ability to recommend and implement process improvements
- Performing the monthly close process and reviewing reconciliations
- Excel and PowerPoint - Advanced Excel skills (ie. advanced formulas, macros, & pivot tables)
- Comfortable operating in a fast paced, growth stage start-up while problem solving and solution oriented
THE THREE SKILLS THAT MATTER MOST
Nobody can be great at everything, but we’re looking for candidates who are extraordinary at:
OTHER NICE TO HAVES
- Proven ability to work creatively and analytically in a problem-solving environment
- Prior experience implementing and documenting new accounting processes
- Assist in the preparation of business filings
Varo is entrepreneurial, collaborative, enthusiastic, customer-oriented, fast-paced, and multicultural. This is an open and relatively flat organization that puts an emphasis on collaboration, sharing ideas and information. For a relatively early stage company, Varo is grounded in a strong set of values and takes pride in the diversity of its employees.
OUR CORE VALUES
Customers First: Understand the problems our customers are trying to solve. Respond with a sense of urgency. Build relationships that result in loyalty. Be data and insights-driven. Test everything. Achieve results through strong execution. Build a product people love. Assess new initiatives with the customers’ interest in mind. Act with empathy.
Take Ownership: Bias towards action. Have high standards. Be accountable for the results of your work, our product, our company. Trust others to own it.
Respect: Treat others how you want to be treated. Listen first before being heard. Speak the truth even when it's not easy. Assume best intentions. Bring your full self to work.
Stay Curious: Ask why. Dare to make things better. Learn something new each day (even from mistakes). Be open to growth. Develop creative solutions.
Make it Better: Think big. Set high goals. Work towards long term value rather than short term wins. Create change. Be resilient.
Varo is an equal opportunity employer. Varo embraces diversity and we are committed to building teams that represent a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.
Learn more about Varo by following us:
Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/varomoney
Instagram - www.instagram.com/varobank
LinkedIn - https://www.linkedin.com/company/varobank
Twitter - https://twitter.com/varobank
Engineering Blog - https://medium.com/engineering-varo
SoundCloud - https://soundcloud.com/varobank
Beware of fraudulent job postings!
Varo will never ask for payment to process documents, refer you to a third party to process applications or visas, or ask you to pay costs. Never send money to anyone suggesting they can provide work with Varo. If you suspect you have received a phony offer, please e-mail [email protected] with the pertinent information and contact information.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Read Full Job Description