Corporate Counsel (Product & Privacy) at Udemy
| San Francisco
Sorry, this job was removed at 6:22 a.m. (PST) on Wednesday, August 12, 2020
Udemy is looking for a Corporate Counsel with experience advising product and engineering teams to join our small but mighty legal team at our headquarters in San Francisco. Reporting to our Associate General Counsel, you’ll play an integral role in our privacy, compliance, and security efforts while working closely with the rest of the legal team. We’re looking for someone with a passion for technology who can collaborate with different teams to handle fast-paced projects with flexibility, patience, and poise. If you’re looking for the opportunity to make a significant impact, Udemy’s legal team provides an action-oriented environment to take both your career and our mission (to improve lives through learning) to the next level.
What you'll be doing
- Oversee all documentation related to compliance with GDPR, CCPA, and other data privacy laws
- Counsel our product and engineering teams on how to design new products and features in compliance with a variety of applicable laws
- Partner with our commercial team to solve for privacy and security considerations with enterprise customers
- Assist our security team in responding to potential security incidents
- Advise our anti-fraud team on development of new fraud-prevention strategies
- Advise our policy team on copyright-related issues
- Coordinate with internal teams and outside counsel on patent filings
- Conduct legal research to help ensure that Udemy complies with applicable laws, including consumer protection, content regulation, security, and privacy laws
- Develop educational and training materials to teach internal teams about relevant legal concepts
We're excited about you because you'll have:
- JD with admission to California Bar in good standing (or registration to practice in-house in California)
- 4+ years’ relevant experience in privacy law, preferably in an in-house environment
- Expertise in GDPR and CCPA
- Familiarity with technical engineering concepts (APIs, code deployment, common terms)
- Comfort with learning new programs and software
- Experience with a marketplace platform serving both content creators and consumers, such as YouTube, eBay, Etsy, etc.
- Familiarity with a programming language
- Familiarity with copyright law and DMCA
- Experience working with Security teams
- CIPP/E certification
We believe anyone can build the life they imagine through online learning. Today, more than 50 million students around the world are advancing their careers and passions by exploring and mastering new skills on Udemy, and expert instructors are able to share their knowledge with the world. Through our global marketplace and our solutions for businesses and governments, we connect people everywhere with the skills they need for success in work and life. We’re a close-knit bunch that enjoys problem-solving and collaboration, and we share a serious belief in the power of learning and teaching to change lives. Udemy’s culture encourages innovation, creativity, passion, and teamwork. We also celebrate our milestones and support each other every day.
Founded in 2010, Udemy is privately owned and headquartered in San Francisco’s SOMA neighborhood with offices in Denver (Colorado), Dublin (Ireland), Ankara (Turkey), Gurugram (India), and São Paulo (Brazil).
Udemy in the News
Udemy Raises 50 Million at a 2 Billion Dollar Valuation from Japanese Publisher Benesse
Paid Paternity Leave Should be the Norm in the U.S.
Breakdown of Most In-Demand Skills for 2020—Finance, Marketing, Sales and Engineering
How Investing in Yourself Today Will Set You Up for Career Success Tomorrow
Feedback Isn’t the Problem, but the Way That We Deliver It Is Broken
Read Full Job Description