Data Scientist at Unlearn.AI (San Francisco, CA)
We are advancing AI to power the future of medicine.
At Unlearn, our purpose is to advance artificial intelligence (AI) to eliminate trial and error in medicine. We are innovating advanced machine learning methods to leverage generative AI in forecasting patient outcomes, starting with the domain of clinical trials. We produce AI-generated digital twins of individual trial participants, enabling smaller and more efficient clinical trials to bring effective
medicines to patients sooner.
Our innovative work in AI today will reinvent how AI is applied in medicine tomorrow — and we have a top secret plan for how to get there. We won’t be able to achieve this mission just by applying technologies created by others; the future must be invented.
Unlearn is a technology company, not a biotech company. We use computers, not pipettes. We make and use software, we don’t discover or make drugs. We believe that AI will define the future of medicine, and we aren’t deterred by naysayers or skeptics.
We come from a variety of backgrounds ranging from machine learning to marketing—but regardless of where we come from, Unlearners share some common traits:
>> Unlearners are ambitious; we aren’t intimidated by big, challenging goals.
>> Unlearners are disciplined experimenters; we break down our big goals into smaller chunks and meet as often as necessary to track our velocity and iterate quickly.
>> Unlearners are gritty; we never give up, setbacks just make us try harder.
>> Unlearners are receptive to new ideas; in fact, we hate being stuck with the status quo.
>> Unlearners are storytellers; sharing information with each other and with the world is super important, too important to be boring. And, last but not least,
>> Unlearners are team-oriented; we put the mission first, the company second, the team third, and individuals last.
Founded in 2017 by a team of world-class machine learning scientists, we have raised venture capital from top tier investors such as Insight Partners, Radical Ventures, 8VC, DCVC, and DCVC Bio. We completed our $50 million Series B in April 2022. We are headquartered in San Francisco, CA and have an additional office in Boston, MA.
If our purpose and culture resonate with you, we invite you to apply.
Data Scientists working on our Data Tools teams at Unlearn are responsible for building world-class internal data products that enable fundamental advancements in machine learning and Unlearn’s solutions for driving clinical trial timelines towards zero. Data Scientists work in multi-disciplinary teams and build high-quality software that consolidates clinical data from a variety of different sources into a cohesive machine learning-ready dataset. These teams work across disease areas, constantly learning and growing their capability to deliver innovative solutions around clinical data.
The ideal candidate has a strong understanding of the challenges of working with clinical data and has proven experience in both data science and software engineering.
- Build powerful software tools to transform clinical data, observational study, and electronic health data into tidy datasets that empower machine learning.
- Analyzing clinical datasets and understanding outcome measures, biomarkers, and other data measured in clinical trials.
- Collaborating with a team of multi-disciplinary scientists and engineers to build high-quality data products that leverage well-organized data, domain knowledge, and insightful data analysis and documentation.
- Track record of using data science to solve challenging problems.
- 2+ years in a related role
- Fluency in Python and essential data science libraries (numpy, pandas, etc.) Demonstrated experience in collaborative software development.
- Experience or interest in solving data science problems for healthcare.
- Experience or interest in working with multidisciplinary teams that include scientists, engineers, and statisticians. B.S. (advanced preferred) or related degree in a quantitative discipline.
- Able to come into either our San Francisco office at least two days a week.
Benefits & Perks
We offer a suite of benefits and perks for our team members, including:
• Company-paid medical, dental, & vision insurance
• 401k plan with company matching
• Professional development budget for relevant conferences or workshops
• Equity education and tax advisory services
• Commuter benefits to help you get to our offices easily
• Home-office set up allowance of up to $800 for all new hires
• Flexible time off and an annual winter break (December 24 - January 1)
• Paid Parental Leave
Unlearn is an equal opportunity employer.
At Unlearn, we are committed to building a diverse and inclusive workplace, because inclusion and diversity are essential to achieving our mission. If you’re excited about this role, and your past experience doesn’t align perfectly with every qualification in the job description, we encourage you to apply nevertheless.