Director of Data Platforms at Reddit
“The front page of the internet," Reddit brings over 430 million users together each month through their common interests, inviting them to share, vote, comment, and create across thousands of communities.
As the Director of Data Platforms, you will be responsible for leading the data engineering and data warehousing teams, whose output directly empowers each team at Reddit. In addition to supporting data science, machine learning, product, and engineering, you and your teams will directly contribute to up-leveling the data discipline at Reddit.
How You’ll Have Impact:
Google, Microsoft, Facebook, and OpenAI have all trained their premier text-models using Reddit data because we have one of the single most important corpora of conversational data in the world. We are the 6th most trafficked site on the internet and as such generate an enormous volume of content and activity on a daily basis. The decisions your team drives will influence the experience of millions of users around the world.
As the Director of Data Platform, you will formulate, socialize, and execute on Reddit’s strategy for Data engineering and warehousing. You will enable your teams to push our products to the next level and dictate how data is accessed and consumed across the company. Through this, you will be a key individual in setting the data culture for Reddit.
Reporting into the Global Head of Data, you will partner with a multitude of stakeholders to understand Reddit’s services across all of our product lines from consumer products, to safety products, to ads. Through this you will determine a path and deliver technology that determines the role data plays with each service, with a focus on shepherding the quality, reliability, and accessibility of data to all partners and powering a range of services from production-facing through to BI applications.
You will be accountable for building, growing, and mentoring a world-class team of engineers to help Reddit reach its goal of bringing community and belonging to everyone.
What You’ll Do:
- Develop, drive and execute the long term vision and strategy for the analytics and data platforms by working with multiple teams and stakeholders across the company.
- Lead, manage and grow the data engineering and data warehousing teams. Provide mentorship and growth opportunities for team members to evolve in their roles.
- Work closely with data platform teams to ensure development of consistent high quality data products and ensure the adoption of these products throughout the organization
- Standardize data quality measurements by establishing metrics, building tools and processes.
- Work with external vendors and aid build vs buy decisions
- Work closely with data privacy and data security teams at Reddit to help guide the data privacy policies and complying with data protection regulations.
Who You Might Be:
- 6+ years of experience building and leading data teams.
- 8+ years of experience building clean, maintainable, and well-tested code.
- Effective communicator who can translate complex technical concepts into simple ideas depending on the audience.
- Experience with big data & streaming data approaches in large data scale organizations
- Preferred experience and comfort with data streaming, monitoring, and aggregation technologies (e.g. BigQuery, AWS, Kubernetes, Airflow, etc.)