Senior Data Scientist, Channels at Reddit
“The front page of the internet," Reddit brings over 430 million people together each month through their common interests, inviting them to share, vote, comment, and create across thousands of communities. Come for the cats, stay for the empathy.
We are looking for a Data Scientist to work with our Channels team. The Channels team within the Growth org strives to send the right message to the right user at the right time via the right channel. Our challenges include recommending relevant content to millions of people, developing new interactions on and off the platform, and deeply personalizing what and how Reddit communicates to our users.
How You’ll Have Impact:
You’ll be a champion for user experience as Reddit improves and innovates on its Channels strategy. You’ll be a key player in ensuring we make the right product decisions based on data and not opinion, play with the large data from one of the largest websites, and help define the culture and frameworks for future team members. Reddit sits in a unique place, where there is still a great deal of foundational work to be done but all work will immediately impact hundreds of thousands of users.
What You’ll Learn:
You will be tightly integrated with our tight-knit Channels engineering team, which moves quickly and runs more experiments than any other team at Reddit. This will hone your ability to work with petabyte-scale datasets, build data pipelines using Airflow, and create models using Tensorflow. You’ll even deploy your own models in our machine learning service.
In addition to pairing with Channels, you will work side by side with all parts of our Data org, a world-class group of Engineering, ML, Search, Data Science, Data Warehouse, and Analytics practitioners who work together to create a variety of capabilities for Reddit to be more successful in its decision-making and product creation. In this process, you will be exposed to a variety of new techniques in experimentation, statistical frameworks, machine learning, deep learning, and causal inference.
What You’ll Do:
- Design and evaluate A/B tests and product feature experiments to determine the effectiveness of product strategy
- Perform proactive analysis to identify and size new opportunities for reengaging Redditors through push notifications, email digests and other outreach channels
- Build and maintain ETLs (extract/transform/load) and machine learning models to power Channels projects
- Serve as an expert for how ML should be applied to use reengagement
- Drive better data driven decision-making within the Growth team more broadly
Who You Might Be:
- 3-5 years of experience as a data scientist working on a consumer-facing product
- Fluent SQL and Python for machine learning/statistical inference
- Experience working with large scale ETL systems (implementation and maintenance)
- Bonus points for background in data engineering and/or data warehousing
- Results-oriented with a strong customer and business focus
- Entrepreneurial and self-directed, demonstrated ability to innovate and bias toward action in fast-paced environments
- Ability to communicate and discuss complex topics with technical and non-technical audiences
- Ability to tackle ambiguous and undefined problems