“The front page of the internet," Reddit brings over 430 million people together each month through their common interests, inviting them to share, vote, comment, and create across thousands of communities.
We are looking for a Data Scientist to work with the Content and Communities team (CNC) to understand and grow Reddit’s ecosystem of communities. By partnering with feature engineering teams and product managers, your work will help encourage community participation and content creation, as well as improve tools for moderators.
How You’ll Have Impact:
Reddit’s mission is to bring community and belonging to everyone in the world, and you will be pivotal in making that happen. The CNC team is trying to solve some of the hardest challenges in consumer products: fostering, growing and managing hundreds of thousands of online communities each with millions of users across multiple countries. If you’re passionate about helping understand and create products that change peoples’ lives for the better and developing and testing strategies for products-at-scale, this is the job for you.
Your work will be centered around understanding the hundreds of thousands of moderators and millions creators on Reddit, digging into their motivations and pain points to build a better experience for the users who make Reddit such a vibrant place. You’ll also help identify strategically valuable types of new communities and drive the CNC team’s strategy of making it easier to build them.
What You’ll Learn:
Analysis of communities is at the heart of where social science, psychology, network analysis, and statistics come together to help us better understand people and how they group and interact. This is a complex and exciting problem space to explore, and you’ll lead the charge on studying how communities created, discovered, grown and governed, how norms vary across them, and why users feel at home in some and not others.
You will work side by side with a world-class org of Engineering, ML, Search, Data Science, Data Warehouse, and Analytics practitioners who work together to create a variety of capabilities for Reddit to be more successful in its decision-making and product creation. In this process, you will be exposed to a variety of new techniques in modeling, experimentation, statistical frameworks, machine learning, deep learning, and causal inference.
What You’ll Do:
- Build models to measure subreddit relatedness, recommend content to users, and project community growth rates
- Partner cross functionally to help define the CNC team’s roadmap and initiatives.
- Analyze trends in engagement in Reddit communities, and convert it into insights that drive higher levels of active engagement
- Build and design analytic infrastructure that help the CNC team tell detailed stories about Reddit’s moderators and engaged users
- Design and evaluate A/B tests and product feature experiments to determine the effectiveness of product strategy
- Define team metrics and goals and make them easily available through ETLs (extract/transform/load) and reporting dashboards
Who You Might Be:
- 3-5 years of experience in quantitative or data science roles, preferably for a consumer-facing service/app
- Proficiency with relational database (e.g., SQL)
- Familiarity with statistical analysis and programming languages (e.g., R / Python)
- Experience with social network analysis and/or natural language processing
- Results-oriented with a strong customer and business focus
- Entrepreneurial and self-directed, demonstrated ability to innovate and bias toward action in fast-paced environments
- Ability to communicate and discuss complex topics with technical and non-technical audiences.
- Ability to tackle ambiguous and undefined problems