Senior Postgres Database Administrator at Cisco Meraki (San Francisco, CA or Remote)
At Cisco Meraki, we know that technology can connect, empower, and drive us. Our mission is to simplify technology so our customers can focus on what's most meaningful to them: their students, patients, customers, and businesses. We’re making networking easier, faster, and smarter with technology that simply works. We maintain a positive relationship with Cisco that gives us the stability and resources of a larger company without sacrificing our startup vibe.
Our devices are some of the most popular in the world: there are over 11 million devices online globally. This popularity comes with large scalability challenges: our backend handles more than 10 billion of requests to our devices 24/7/365!About the role
In near real time, Cisco Meraki collects massive amounts of data from its devices all over the world. We write nearly 7 million data points each second globally every day. This data, helps power our Dashboard and gives our customers insight into the state of their networks. As a member of the Data Infrastructure team, you will administer, scale, secure, and maintain our on-prem relational and non-relational database systems. You will work with all Engineering teams throughout Cisco Meraki guiding them towards best practices to meet the data requirements for their use cases.What you will do:
- Work alongside our SRE teams to plan, administer, maintain and secure our PostgreSQL infrastructure across our backend
- Perform operational DBA duties: installation, database upgrades, patching, implement backup/recovery and monitoring procedures, capacity planning, and site failover/switchover
- Ensure systems are running at the highest possible performance level by analyzing and tuning queries
- Guide engineers on performance tuning and optimization, query optimization, index tuning, caching, buffer tuning, etc.
- Review database changes requested by engineering teams for impacts to database designs, design standards, data conversions, naming standards, and documentation
- Learn about the data and it’s use to make recommendations for improvements in how it is stored and processed
- Work with Data Engineering team to design, build and maintain ETL pipelines for PG
- Develop procedures and scripts for data migration
- Automate schema management with tools like Liquibase, ActiveRecords, etc.
- Support architectural changes with new database environments in both public and private clouds
- Deep knowledge and experience designing and maintaining PostgreSQL infrastructure On-prem and in cloud
- Experience building and maintaining complex, critical production database systems
- Experience analyzing issues holistically, from the application tier through the database, down to the storage
- Proven track record of automating tasks
- Working knowledge of relational database internals (locking, consistency, serialization, recovery paths)
- Systems engineering experience, including Linux performance, memory management, I/O tuning, configuration, security, networking, etc.
- Knowledge of at least one scripting language (shell, Python, Perl)
- Experience with NoSQL databases, memory stores e.g. Redis
- Experience migrating database from on-prem to cloud and vice versa
- Experience with messaging queues
We encourage you to drop us a line even if you don’t have all the points above. That's a lot of different areas of responsibility! We will help you pick them up because we believe that great engineers come from diverse backgrounds.Life at Cisco Meraki
We are passionate about building real products that our customers love. We are confident you will love it here.As a Cisco Meraki employee you can expect:
- A supportive and fun environment and a team that values your contributions. The Backend Group is called the Exploding Whales. Interested to learn why? Just message us.
- A lot of opportunities for professional and personal growth via employee-led groups. Check out one of our groups — Women of Meraki on Twitter and Instagram.
- Actionable and candid feedback on a regular basis following Radical Candor.
- Paid time off to volunteer, and much more.
Cisco is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, genetic information, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected basis. Cisco will consider for employment, on a case by case basis, qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
At Cisco Meraki, we’re challenging the status quo with the power of diversity, inclusion, and collaboration. When we connect different perspectives, we can imagine new possibilities, inspire innovation, and release the full potential of our people. We’re building an employee experience that includes appreciation, belonging, growth, and purpose for everyone.
$141,300- 222,2000 USD
Message to applicants applying to work in the U.S.: When available, the salary range posted for this position reflects the projected hiring range for new hire salaries in U.S. locations. For non-sales roles, the hiring ranges reflect base salary and do not include bonuses, equity, or benefits. Hiring ranges for sales positions include base and incentive target, and do not include equity or benefits. Individual pay is determined by the candidate's hiring location and additional factors, including but not limited to skillset, experience, and relevant education, certifications or training. Applicants may not be eligible for the full salary range based on their U.S. hiring location. The recruiter can share more details about compensation for the role in your location during the hiring process.
Message to applicants applying to work in the U.S.:
When available, the salary range posted for this position reflects the projected hiring range for new hire, full-time salaries in U.S. locations, not including equity or benefits. For non-sales roles the hiring ranges reflect base salary only; employees are also eligible to receive annual bonuses. Hiring ranges for sales positions include base and incentive compensation target. Individual pay is determined by the candidate's hiring location and additional factors, including but not limited to skillset, experience, and relevant education, certifications, or training. Applicants may not be eligible for the full salary range based on their U.S. hiring location. The recruiter can share more details about compensation for the role in your location during the hiring process.
U.S. employees have access to quality medical, dental and vision insurance, a 401(k) plan with a Cisco matching contribution, short and long-term disability coverage, basic life insurance and numerous wellbeing offerings. Employees receive up to twelve paid holidays per calendar year, which includes one floating holiday, plus a day off for their birthday. Employees accrue up to 20 days of Paid Time Off (PTO) each year and have access to paid time away to deal with critical or emergency issues without tapping into their PTO. We offer additional paid time to volunteer and give back to the community. Employees are also able to purchase company stock through our Employee Stock Purchase Program.
Employees on sales plans earn performance-based incentive pay on top of their base salary, which is split between quota and non-quota components. For quota-based incentive pay, Cisco pays at the standard rate of 1% of incentive target for each 1% revenue attainment against the quota up to 100%. Once performance exceeds 100% quota attainment, incentive rates may increase up to five times the standard rate with no cap on incentive compensation. For non-quota-based sales performance elements such as strategic sales objectives, Cisco may pay up to 125% of target. Cisco sales plans do not have a minimum threshold of performance for sales incentive compensation to be paid.