TIP: Sr. Data Platform Engineer (Data Lake) at Upwork
Upwork ($UPWK) is the leading tech solution for companies looking to hire the best talent, maintain flexibility, and get more done. We’re passionate about our mission to create economic opportunities so people have better lives. Every year, more than $2 billion of work is done through Upwork by skilled professionals who want the freedom of working anytime, anywhere. Top companies connecting with extraordinary talent around the globe? Upwork is how.
This position is through Upwork’s Talent Innovation Program (TIP). Our TIP team is a global group of professionals that augment Upwork’s business. Our TIP team members are located all over the world.
Upwork's Data Platform team is tasked with building and supporting the data and analytics infrastructure at Upwork that analysts and partners use 24x7 to make critical business decisions. We are looking for a passionate engineer who has a love of data technologies to empower our teams in leveraging data to drive and measure impact. In this role, you will develop our next-generation data infrastructure to support our future business growth.
- Based on Upwork’s unique ecosystem and data needs, partner with our architects to research and develop solutions to standardize and operationalize our data lake for different groups of users at Upwork, including file structure, access control, resource management, cost control, compliance, and etc.
- Develop and maintain the data access layer on top of data lake to support high performing and easy-to-use applications of data by our end users, including data science and analytics teams
- Participate in developing and maintaining our end-to-end data platform, from data acquisition, real-time data stream, to data lake, enterprise data warehouse and front-end data tools and applications.
- Work with our data platform team to create and evolve a data platform that enables your peer data management engineering teams to create data products that serve both internal business units and external clients and partners to maximize the value generated from our data assets in a user-friendly, self-service, robust, efficient and scalable way.
- Partner with cross-functional engineering peers to streamline the flow of data in the whole company
- Develop and implement data quality rules and validation processes, leading engineering excellence initiatives to improve data quality and issue resolution
Must Haves (Required Skills):
- 5+ years combined experience in DW/BI and Big Data platform engineering role in medium and large size companies
- A proven record of building complex data platform from ideation to implementation
- Strong knowledge and experience of the Big Data ecosystem and Cloud-based solutions, such as Amazon S3, Presto, Redshift, Hive, Spark and similar technologies
- Able to influence, lead and communicate effectively across engineering teams, business units and other partners to negotiate priority, scope, and design solution
- Excellent oral, written, and presentation skills, including the ability to work in person, virtually, and in a globally-staffed environment with minimum supervision
- Fluent and effective in working with a globally distributed team
- Demonstrate a strong understanding of development processes and agile methodologies
- Can commit at least 3 hours a day overlapping with the normal working hours of Upwork team in California (PST time zone)
Nice to Haves (Not Required):
- Familiar with data visualization tools such as Looker, Domo, or similar
- Knowledge of AWS Kinesis, AWS Lambda functions, and overall AWS services management
- Experience with networking and interacting with REST APIs
- Work comfortably in a Linux environment
Upwork is proudly committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive workforce. We never discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical condition), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.