Lead Designer, Design Systems at Grammarly
Grammarly is continuing to grow our team during the COVID-19 pandemic, conducting fully remote hiring and onboarding processes. All Grammarly team members can work remotely until September 2021. Read more about how we’re supporting our team and communities.The opportunity
Grammarly empowers people to thrive and connect, whenever and wherever they communicate. More than 30 million people and 30,000 teams around the world use our AI-powered writing assistant every day. All of this begins with our team collaborating in a values-driven and learning-oriented environment.
The Design team at Grammarly is responsible for delivering a wide range of product and marketing initiatives, including our brand, product offerings, and research. To support our growing organization, we’re looking to add a seasoned Lead Designer for Design Systems. This role will design and operationalize our design system by collaborating with designers on our Product Design and Brand and Marketing Design teams to define the aesthetics and interaction at Grammarly.
As the Lead Designer for Design Systems, you’ll constantly assess, organize, and improve, working directly with Product and Engineering to implement our systems across product offerings. You’ll partner with the Growth team to design beautiful consumer experiences, partner with Marketing to evolve and apply our brand across a wide variety of surfaces, and partner with Design Operations to define and implement a structured curation and contribution process.
The Design team is responsible for projects that directly impact business goals and metrics. In this role, you will primarily work with the Product Design, Brand and Marketing Design, User Experience Research, and Design Operations teams to design and implement the Grammarly design system at scale. In this high-impact role, you will:
- Lead the development and delivery of our design systems and drive implementation of our brand in our product offerings.
- Own the design system roadmap at Grammarly for Brand, Product, and Growth.
- Drive the evolution of Grammarly’s visual language and interaction pattern library.
- Manage the implementation of the design system across the product ecosystem.
- Design and define interaction patterns through components, documentation, and prototypes.
- Work with developers to maintain and create new components for our library.
- Partner with and support Brand and Marketing and Product designers in using the design system.
- Collaborate with designers across teams to curate new aesthetic and patterns.
- Collaborate with User Research to test as needed to ensure usability and consistency.
- Collaborate with Design Operations to build and maintain usage documentation.
- Collaborate with Design and Product leadership to define Grammarly’s accessibility standards.
- Scale work across a variety of audiences, abilities, devices, and platforms.
- Specify and maintain our core principles in visual style, typography, spacing, motion, and interaction models.
- Assess consistency and coherence across our design system while identifying areas for improvements.
We’re looking for someone who
- Embodies our EAGER values—is ethical, adaptable, gritty, empathetic, and remarkable.
- Has a minimum 5–10 years as a designer on growing design teams.
- Has taken design systems from zero to one, and has worked in design systems at scale.
- Has a deep understanding of high-efficiency, high-output centralized design partnerships.
- Has a deep understanding of multidisciplinary design processes and toolkits across Product Design, Brand and Marketing Design, and User Experience Research.
- Has excellent written and verbal communication skills and uses them to effectively roll out large-scale programs.
- Is relentlessly focused on our customers’ needs and wants.
- Is proactive in seeking and providing opportunities to improve and expand the team, including team members’ personal skills and experiences.
Support for you, professionally and personally
- Professional growth: We hire people we trust, and we give team members autonomy to do their best work. We also support professional development with training, coaching, and regular feedback.
- A connected team: Grammarly builds a product that helps people connect, and we apply this mindset to our own team. We have a highly collaborative culture supported by our EAGER values. We also take time to celebrate our colleagues and accomplishments with global, local, and team-specific events and programs.
- Comprehensive benefits: Grammarly offers all team members competitive pay along with a benefits package that includes superior health care. We also offer ample and defined time off, catered lunches, gym and recreation stipends, admission discounts, and more.
We encourage you to apply
At Grammarly, we value our differences, and we encourage all—especially those whose identities are traditionally underrepresented in tech organizations—to apply. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, national origin, citizenship, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Grammarly will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. Grammarly is an equal opportunity employer and participant in the U.S. Federal E-Verify program.