Senior Product Designer, Design Systems at Gusto
Gusto is a modern, online people platform that helps small businesses take care of their teams. On top of full-service payroll, Gusto offers health insurance, 401(k)s, expert HR, and team management tools. Today, Gusto offices in Denver, San Francisco, and New York serve more than 100,000 businesses nationwide.
We’re looking for a Senior Product Designer to join our Design Systems mission. In this role, your work will drive Gusto forward as the people platform for small businesses by empowering designers and engineers to build high-quality user experiences. We help teams focus on solving real user needs, ship products faster, avoid re-inventing solutions, leverage accessibility, and improve performance across platforms.
If you are a high contributor to Design Systems who thrives on making major business impact at a high-growth company, we would love to hear from you!
Here’s what you’ll do day-to-day:
- Define and standardize reusable design patterns and components.
- Partner with design, engineering, brand, and research to establish, build, and maintain a comprehensive library of shared components, using a modular approach to front-end development.
- Set up knowledge-sharing processes that promote collaboration, pairing, and training.
- Develop and maintain clear documentation of Gusto product philosophy and principles as it relates to patterns and components.
- Utilize research methods to assess the efficacy of the system and understand customer needs.
- Track the effectiveness and adoption of the Design System as a tool across teams and disciplines.
- Advocate for accessibility standards and inclusive design principles.
Here’s what we're looking for:
- 6+ years experience in product design, including experience building and evolving an effective design system (please link a personal website or portfolio).
- Familiarity of platform conventions on Web, iOS, and Android as well as an understanding of when to break them.
- Exceptional interaction and visual design skills, with expert command of information design, visual hierarchy, layout, typography, color theory, and brand systems.
- Genuine empathy for small business owners and employees and use of research to inform design solutions.
- A drive for technical, scalable, and user-centric models of building things.
- Impeccable attention to detail.
- A strong emphasis on collaboration and feedback as a driver of success in their product design process.
- An excellent communicator and influencer who can work well with various groups and levels of the organization.
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, high-energy environment, with an entrepreneurial ownership mentality.
- Humble spirit.
Bonus points if you:
- Have experience building design systems in Figma
Our customers come from all walks of life and so do we. We hire great people from a wide variety of backgrounds, not just because it's the right thing to do, but because it makes our company stronger. If you share our values and our enthusiasm for small businesses, you will find a home at Gusto.