What you'll be doing
- Build exceptional teams of highly-engaged engineers by hiring, coaching and instilling a sense of ownership and impact, directly and through your managers.
- Work with the Directors and leads in Product Engineering to define your team’s vision and roadmap by thoroughly understanding your customers’ needs.
- Leverage your technical expertise to constantly raise the bar and ensure your team delivers extraordinary results at the high technical level we set.
- Adjusting team composition, and creating new teams, to adapt to changing needs or tuning team dynamics
- Making sound first-principle decisions around resourcing, and making the rationale clear to partners and team members
- Partnering with your Director on strategic planning and to continuously improve the Engineering organization and uphold our workplace philosophy.
- Partnering with Design to develop core component frameworks and best-practices
- You have 5+ years of experience as a Software Engineer.
- You have 6+ years of experience as an Engineering Manager and successfully managed at least 10 Software Engineers.
- You have strong communication skills and the ability to work well cross-functionally.
- You thrive in ambiguous environments and get excited about figuring out solutions to complex problems, and then executing on them.
- You are a first principles thinker that is able to work with others to come up with pragmatic solutions.
- You have a strong sense of development ergonomics, and take pride in understanding your engineer customers.
- Code does not scare you, you are still an engineer even if you don't do it all the time.
- You keep up with the industry trends and can assess new technologies that can help us better solve problems.
- History of strong collaboration with designers and product managers
Friends, coworkers, gamers, nerds, moms, dads, engineers, designers, marketers, support. Originally, we created Discord to help people come together around games. It's been amazing to watch it grow into what it is today - a place where millions of diverse communities exist and people connect with old friends and new. Diversity and inclusiveness are a critical part of how we get to what's next. We believe that with diversity comes a better product, better decisions, and a better work environment. As we continue to grow, our values keep us dedicated to building a company that is representative of the world we live and play in.
Discord is an equal opportunity employer committed to promoting an inclusive work environment free of discrimination and harassment. We value diversity, inclusion, and aim to provide a sense of belonging for everyone.