Senior Geometric Calibration Engineer at Planet
Welcome to Planet. We believe in using space to help life on Earth.
Planet designs, builds, and operates the largest constellation of imaging satellites in history. This constellation delivers an unprecedented dataset of empirical information via a revolutionary cloud-based platform to authoritative figures in commercial, environmental, and humanitarian sectors. We are both a space company and data company all rolled into one.
Customers and users across the globe use Planet's data to develop new technologies, drive revenue, power research, and solve our world’s toughest obstacles.
As we control every component of hardware design, manufacturing, data processing, and software engineering, our office is a truly inspiring mix of experts from a variety of domains.
We have a people-centric approach toward culture and community and we strive to iterate in a way that puts our team members first and prepares our company for growth. Join Planet and be a part of our mission to change the way people see the world.
Planet is headquartered in San Francisco, California, Earth.
About the Role:
The Calibration, Analytics Ready Data and InterOperability (CARDIO) operations team enables the generation of accurate and interoperable products from Planetscope satellites. There are multiple methods used to characterise image quality and ensure accuracy; from celestial maneuvers to harmonisation of earth-facing on-orbit imagery. The work of the CARDIO team is performed at scale and affects millions of images and terabytes of data.
Planet is looking for an experienced geometric calibration engineer with proven background in calibrating optical payloads to join the CARDIO team. As Senior Geometric Calibration Engineer, you will be responsible for defining and implementing calibration concepts and methods for our new constellation of Earth Observation satellites as well as operating and improving the calibration process for our PlanetScope and SkySat constellations.
Impact You’ll Own:
- Perform ongoing space imaging operations, geometric calibration activities and performance characterization
- Designing and implementing automated scalable processes to calibrate hundreds to satellites to ensure that our products meet and exceed specifications and SLAs
- Collaborate within a cross functional team to develop performance models, error budgets and calibration concepts for new very high resolution constellation
- Troubleshooting geometric image quality issues and developing long-term mitigations and fixes
What You Bring:
- Master’s degree photogrammetry, engineering, physics, or math, relevant to geometric characterization of space imaging platforms.
- Hands-on, can-do attitude, great interpersonal skills, and ability to collaborate effectively
- Minimum of 7 years of experience with statistical processing and analysis techniques of large sets of measurement data
- Understanding of end-to-end image processing chain – from sensor electronics and image ancillary data to geometric characterization
- A passion for Programming, Photography, Remote Sensing, Earth Sciences, and Geography
- Extensive experience leveraging scientific computing using Python in a Unix/Linux environment
- Knowledge of how to scale code with cloud computing resources, e.g. AWS or GCP
- Practical experience in solving problems by exploiting large cloud-based datasets
What Makes You Stand Out:
- Hands on experience with calibrating and operating very high resolution optical satellites
- Familiarity with design and construction of imaging/capture/camera hardware
- 5+ years remote sensing experience + proven track record of software automation of analysis of imagery/maps
- Active contribution to open source projects
- PhD in a relevant scientific/engineering field
Benefits While Working at Planet:
- Comprehensive Health Plan
- Wellness program and onsite massages in specific offices
- Flexible Time Off
- Recognition Programs
- Commuter Benefits
- Learning and Tuition Reimbursement
- Parental Leave
- Offsites and Happy Hours
- Volunteering Benefits
Some Press About Us:
Our CEO, Will Marshall featured on TED and featured in a Planet Blog
“Planet: Bringing Space Back Down to Earth”
Tiny, privately owned satellites are changing how we view the Earth features in NBC News
“Planet And Rocket Lab Create Mission Patch To Honor Women In Aerospace” —Planet Blog
Why we care so much about Belonging.
We’re dedicated to helping the whole Planet, and to do that we must strive to represent all of it within each of our offices and on all of our teams. That’s why Planet is guided by an ultimate north star of Belonging, dreaming big as we approach our ongoing work with diversity, equity and inclusion. If this job intrigues you, but you’re thinking you might not have all the qualifications, please... do apply! At Planet, we are looking for well-rounded people from around the world who can contribute to more ways than just what is listed in this job description. We don’t just fill positions, we aspire to fulfill people’s careers, most excited about folks who are motivated by our underlying humanitarian efforts. We are a few orbits around the sun before we get to where we want to be, so we hope you’re excited to come along for the ride.
Planet is committed to building a community where everyone belongs and we invite people from all backgrounds to apply. Planet is an equal opportunity employer, and committed to providing employment opportunities regardless of race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, childbirth and breastfeeding, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other protected classification, in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws.
Planet is an inclusive community and we know that everyone has their own needs. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation during the interview process, please call Planet's front office at 669-214-9404 or contact your recruiter with your request. Your message will be confidential and we will be happy to assist you.
Compensation (only applicable for Colorado applicants):
The base pay range targeted for this position in Colorado is: $116,100 - $187,200. This role is eligible for equity.
The actual offer, including the compensation package, is determined based on multiple factors, including experience, location, and other business considerations.
Planet is registered as an employer in many, but not all, states. If you are not able to work from a state where Planet is registered, you will not be eligible for employment.