Zipline builds and operates fleets of delivery drones to get medicine to those who need it, fast, regardless of where they live. To power this, we’re building highly efficient distribution centers with powerful software that empowers our Flight Operators. We’re looking for a software engineer to help bring reliability and scalability to our backend platforms. Our ideal candidate works well in startup environments, is comfortable wearing many hats, and can work in a small team to produce big results.
What You’ll Do
- Develop and maintain foundational platforms upon which our life-critical flight and fulfillment systems are built
- Own backend services across our cloud servers and hardware servers
- Be part of a small team of engineers building products that drive the business reliability and scalability
- Set the bar at a company level for testable, observable, production-quality code
What You’ll Bring
- Experience providing highly available software products to customers
- Experience with modern programming languages and tooling
- Collaborative, flexible attitude, and shared passion for our mission
Nice To Haves
- Experience with large object-oriented Python systems
- Experience maintaining high test coverage
- Experience refactoring code
- Understanding of what makes bad code: (anti-patterns, cyclomatic complexity, cognitive complexity, ...)
- Experience designing platforms
- Experience working with messaging systems and microservices
Currently, we maintain and build a platform that is largely in C++ and Python. Our desire is to increase the Python footprint as we go forward, to do this we will need to solve interesting optimization, maintainability problems as we scale from dozens of DCs to thousands of DCs. This is a unique opportunity to shape and take ownership of these systems.
What Else You Need To Know
This role is working with a team in our South San Francisco HQ but we are open to remote work (from pst - est).
Zipline is an equal opportunity employer and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws or our own sensibilities.
We value diversity at Zipline and welcome applications from those who are traditionally underrepresented in tech. If you like the sound of this position but are not sure if you are the perfect fit, please apply!