Nearly every company in the world runs on custom business software: Gartner estimates that up to 50% of all code is written for internal usage. This is the operational software for refunding orders, underwriting loans, moderating content, managing marketplaces, rolling out new features, onboarding employees, analyzing transactions, providing customer support…the list is nearly endless. For most companies, building and maintaining all of these tools demands a lot of engineering time—scarce, expensive resources better put to use on customer-facing products.
At Retool, we’re designing a new type of development environment that makes it dramatically faster and easier to build all of this software. Retool unifies the ease of visual programming with the power of code, while abstracting away the tedious and repetitive tasks of development. We believe that the future of software development lies in being a force multiplier for developers and technical builders, helping them move considerably faster and build a lot more software. It’s akin to a new version of Visual Basic, HyperCard, or Flash—with a bit of Figma and some future-of-programming vibes thrown on top. Today, our customers span from small startups building their first operational tools, to Fortune 500 companies building mission-critical apps for thousands of users across their business.
WHAT YOU'LL DO:
In this role, you will be helping build our Release Engineering team from the ground up! The charter for this role is broad but your core responsibility is to make sure our releases are fast, highly reliable and delight our customers.
You will be in charge of many aspects of the release process and tooling. This may include
- Creating and maintaining release automation pipelines.
- Building git, CI/CD, and Slack scripts, tooling, bots, and dashboards to help manage multiple in-flight releases.
- As we are a multi-tenant SaaS platform, performance and backwards compatibility are important aspects to preserve as we release new features and functionality.
- As we are going through a hyper growth cycle, we’ll want to explore strategies like automated canary deployments and analysis, helping Retool move fast with high quality.
- Since we also offer our product for on-prem deployment to our customers, you will be a key stakeholder in designing and implementing a safe and smooth new software release and distribution process.
IN THIS ROLE, YOU WILL:
- Help build a great product that improves productivity of engineers across the globe by several orders of magnitude.
- Define best practices for releasing both SaaS and On-Prem products.
- Troubleshoot and help diagnose product defects, quality issues, observability gaps and how they relate to manage risk and ensure successful releases.
- Work collaboratively with product engineering teams to improve quality assurance standards via End-to-End tests and other test automation strategies.
- Our north star is to ensure successful deployment of our software releases to our customers on-demand (i.e. multiple deploys per day).
THE SKILLSET YOU'LL BRING:
- 4+ years of related professional experience, with 2+ years in a lead role
- Solid experience in building release automation and tooling
- Familiarity with release frameworks and tools such as git, GitHub, Buildkite, CI/CD tooling, fastlane
- Comfortable being a hands on individual contributor, while simultaneously helping hire and scale the team
- Strong programming experience with any major programming language
- Have significant experience and willingness to work with other teams such as fellow engineers, product managers, deployed engineers, support, quality teams etc.
- Drive cross functional teams towards concrete and shared release goals and outcomes
- A passion for learning, especially through looking at new processes and tools that have significant impact on engineering teams
- Excellent communication skills
- Highly analytical and metrics-oriented
- Detail oriented
- Familiarity with React, React Native frontend web and mobile application development
- Experience with test automation and tools/frameworks like Cypress/Playwright/Selenium, Unit test frameworks like Jest etc..
Retool offers generous benefits to all employees. For more information, please visit the benefits and perks section of our careers page!
At this time, Retool is only set up to employ in the US and UK.