Software Engineer, Discovery & Delivery API's at Planet
Welcome to Planet. We believe in using space to help life on Earth.
Planet designs, builds, and operates the largest constellation of imaging satellites in history. This constellation delivers an unprecedented dataset of empirical information via a revolutionary cloud-based platform to authoritative figures in commercial, environmental, and humanitarian sectors. We are both a space company and data company all rolled into one.
Customers and users across the globe use Planet's data to develop new technologies, drive revenue, power research, and solve our world’s toughest obstacles.
As we control every component of hardware design, manufacturing, data processing, and software engineering, our office is a truly inspiring mix of experts from a variety of domains.
We have a people-centric approach toward culture and community and we strive to iterate in a way that puts our team members first and prepares our company for growth. Join Planet and be a part of our mission to change the way people see the world.
Planet is headquartered in San Francisco, California, Earth.
Planet’s Discovery & Delivery APIs team is developing systems used to access, transform, analyze, and deliver imagery from our constellation of satellites. These systems are responsible for providing external customer access to the continuous feed of imagery we receive from the satellites. As Planet builds and integrates more derived data products such as Analytics, Fusion and Basemaps, you'll enable seamless customer access to these powerful new products. Your contributions will enable any number of new techniques to understand our changing world.
This role will be responsible for the software making up our search and data delivery APIs providing access to imagery for our consumers. Our tech stack is based on Go, Python, Postgres and Kubernetes running on Google Cloud Platform. We extensively leverage open source geospatial libraries.
The API team is highly distributed in North America and you will thrive in an environment of remote work and asynchronous communication. You're expected to have strong written communication skills and be able to develop working relationships with coworkers in locations across several time zones.
As an Engineer on the API team you will:
- Evolve customer-facing data services with an emphasis on usability, cross-product consistency, and interface stability
- Work closely with engineers and product managers across cross-functional teams to enable efficient and rapid access to our variety of new and growing datasets
- Build and maintain services in Go and Python with underlying persistence layers in Postgres and Bigtable
- Utilize Google Cloud infrastructure such as BigQuery, Bigtable, Pub/Sub and Cloud Storage
- Improve reliability and scalability by resolving edge cases, studying failure modes, and writing tests
- Own the operation of these APIs by embracing a Site Reliability Engineering Culture, measuring performance, load testing, creating alerts, dashboards, runbooks, and responding to incidents and performance anomalies
- Participate in an on-call rotation in support of our team’s services
You may be a fit for this role if you:
- Have strong programming skills in Go and/or Python in a Linux environment
- Have experience building services that leverage AWS or GCP and infrastructure as code tooling such as Terraform
- Understand tradeoffs of architecting RESTful synchronous and asynchronous HTTP APIs
- Are comfortable with using Docker containers in a production environment and/or have deployed to Kubernetes
- Have experience with RDBMS databases, and especially Postgres (or MySQL)
- Have experience with a large shared codebase and Continuous Integration and Deployment workflows and tooling
Things that make you stand out:
- Have familiarity with geospatial concepts and standards; you've worked with GeoTIFFs and GeoJSON
- Have familiarity with remote sensing products; you know why someone wants an ortho-rectified product
- Have familiarity with large data processing platforms; you've seen MapReduce paradigms work well, and not so well
Education & Experience
- Bachelor or Master degree in Computer Science, Engineering or equivalent job-related experience
- 2+ years experience as a production Software Engineer
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, written and oral
Benefits While Working at Planet:
- Comprehensive Health Plan
- Wellness program and onsite massages in specific offices
- Flexible Time Off
- Recognition Programs
- Commuter Benefits
- Learning and Tuition Reimbursement
- Parental Leave
- Offsites and Happy Hours
- Volunteering Benefits
Some Press About Us:
Our CEO, Will Marshall featured on TED and featured in a Planet Blog
“Planet: Bringing Space Back Down to Earth”
Tiny, privately owned satellites are changing how we view the Earth features in NBC News
“Planet And Rocket Lab Create Mission Patch To Honor Women In Aerospace” —Planet Blog
Why we care so much about Belonging.
We’re dedicated to helping the whole Planet, and to do that we must strive to represent all of it within each of our offices and on all of our teams. That’s why Planet is guided by an ultimate north star of Belonging, dreaming big as we approach our ongoing work with diversity, equity and inclusion. If this job intrigues you, but you’re thinking you might not have all the qualifications, please... do apply! At Planet, we are looking for well-rounded people from around the world who can contribute to more ways than just what is listed in this job description. We don’t just fill positions, we aspire to fulfill people’s careers, most excited about folks who are motivated by our underlying humanitarian efforts. We are a few orbits around the sun before we get to where we want to be, so we hope you’re excited to come along for the ride.
Planet is committed to building a community where everyone belongs and we invite people from all backgrounds to apply. Planet is an equal opportunity employer, and committed to providing employment opportunities regardless of race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, childbirth and breastfeeding, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other protected classification, in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws.
Planet is an inclusive community and we know that everyone has their own needs. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation during the interview process, please call Planet's front office at 669-214-9404 or contact your recruiter with your request. Your message will be confidential and we will be happy to assist you.
Compensation (For Colorado Applicants Only):
The base pay range targeted for this position in Colorado is: $116,100 - $187,200. This role is eligible for bonus and equity.
The actual offer, including the compensation package, is determined based on multiple factors, including experience, location, and other business considerations.
Planet is registered as an employer in many, but not all, states. If you are not able to work from a state where Planet is registered, you will not be eligible for employment.