Software Infrastructure Engineer at Planet
Welcome to Planet. We believe in using space to help life on Earth.
Planet designs, builds, and operates the largest constellation of imaging satellites in history. This constellation delivers an unprecedented dataset of empirical information via a revolutionary cloud-based platform to authoritative figures in commercial, environmental, and humanitarian sectors. We are both a space company and data company all rolled into one.
Customers and users across the globe use Planet's data to develop new technologies, drive revenue, power research, and solve our world’s toughest obstacles.
As we control every component of hardware design, manufacturing, data processing, and software engineering, our office is a truly inspiring mix of experts from a variety of domains.
We have a people-centric approach toward culture and community and we strive to iterate in a way that puts our team members first and prepares our company for growth. Join Planet and be a part of our mission to change the way people see the world.
Planet is headquartered in San Francisco, California, Earth.
About the Role:
The Manufacturing Test Engineering Team is responsible for creating and maintaining the tests and infrastructure for our satellite manufacturing operations. Our software infrastructure plays a critical role in manufacturing by providing tools to document and track all activity that occurs on the factory floor, automating hardware testing, interfacing with other teams such as Supply Chain and Mission Control, and building reports to help analyze trends and diagnose satellite issues. As a software infrastructure engineer on the team, you will work closely with manufacturing technicians and test operators, hardware and software engineers, and your teammates to build a world-class manufacturing system that serves the whole Space Systems division.
Impact You’ll Own:
- Design APIs for use both within and outside the team
- Improve processes such as software deployments, continuous integration, testing, planning, documentation, etc.
- Hold regular meetings with stakeholders to understand their problems and whether they can be solved with software
- Conduct code reviews
- Mock-up and prototype potential solutions
- Participate in and lead design and brainstorming sessions
What You Bring:
- 3+ years of professional experience developing software applications
- Comfortable using GNU/Linux
- Experience with unit testing, continuous integration, and documentation
- Proven history of identifying a customer’s needs and delivering a solution in a timely manner
- The ability to plan a project by identifying dependencies, breaking the work into pieces, and collaborating with teammates to complete the project
- Knowledge of fundamental software engineering principles and design patterns, and knowing how and when to use them
- A fearless attitude: unafraid to experiment with new solutions and tackle difficult problems
What Makes You Stand Out:
- Experience with postgres, redis, or elasticsearch
- Experience automating hardware, or working with other complex interconnected systems
- Contributions to open source projects or other awesome side projects
Benefits While Working at Planet:
- Comprehensive Health Plan
- Wellness program and onsite massages in specific offices
- Flexible Time Off
- Recognition Programs
- Commuter Benefits
- Learning and Tuition Reimbursement
- Parental Leave
- Offsites and Happy Hours
- Volunteering Benefits
Some Press About Us:
Our CEO, Will Marshall featured on TED and featured in a Planet Blog
“Planet: Bringing Space Back Down to Earth”
Tiny, privately owned satellites are changing how we view the Earth features in NBC News
“Planet And Rocket Lab Create Mission Patch To Honor Women In Aerospace” —Planet Blog
Why we care so much about Belonging.
We’re dedicated to helping the whole Planet, and to do that we must strive to represent all of it within each of our offices and on all of our teams. That’s why Planet is guided by an ultimate north star of Belonging, dreaming big as we approach our ongoing work with diversity, equity and inclusion. If this job intrigues you, but you’re thinking you might not have all the qualifications, please... do apply! At Planet, we are looking for well-rounded people from around the world who can contribute to more ways than just what is listed in this job description. We don’t just fill positions, we aspire to fulfill people’s careers, most excited about folks who are motivated by our underlying humanitarian efforts. We are a few orbits around the sun before we get to where we want to be, so we hope you’re excited to come along for the ride.
Planet is committed to building a community where everyone belongs and we invite people from all backgrounds to apply. Planet is an equal opportunity employer, and committed to providing employment opportunities regardless of race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, childbirth and breastfeeding, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other protected classification, in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws.
Planet is an inclusive community and we know that everyone has their own needs. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation during the interview process, please call Planet's front office at 669-214-9404 or contact your recruiter with your request. Your message will be confidential and we will be happy to assist you.#LI-REMOTE#LI-MIZ1