Test Engineering Manager at Affirm
Affirm is reinventing credit to make it more honest and friendly, giving consumers the flexibility to buy now and pay later without any hidden fees or compounding interest.
We are looking for an experienced Test Engineering Manager to implement and lead the Test Engineering team, which is responsible for designing and supporting test tools, along with leading an integrated test program above the unit test level. This is a combination of sourcing frameworks, training, creating tutorials, running a center of excellence, doing and leading test strategy at Affirm.
We are experiencing explosive growth for our core lending product, which leads to continuous change in our software platform. With aggressive uptime targets and continuous availability as a platform over the internet, Affirm products are expected to “just work.” The total engineering effort to accomplish that includes DevOps, infrastructure, testing in production, configuration flags, continuous monitoring, and a great deal of testing on many levels. Meanwhile, you will also lead the team in accelerating the growth of the company by designing test strategy to launch new products.
We are only just getting started! Come join us as we build a beloved, lasting financial services brand predicated on honesty and trust. It’s going to be an amazing ride!
What you'll do
- Leading, mentoring, and growing an engineering team responsible for teaching, supporting, growing, and working on Affirm’s internal software testing effort
- Design a system to measure coverage and systematic risk
- Recruit, interview, and hire a team of Software Development Engineers in Test (SDET)s - Fully qualified programmers who will work on frameworks and developer enablement
- Design, document, and lead test strategy from unit tests to end to end
- Identify gaps in coverage, test skills, tools, incentives and expectations, then work to resolve those gaps.
- Systematize and Institutionalize a system such as RCRCRC to create a more accurate, predictive model for risk and coverage. Develop a system to measure and model depth of testing.
- Collaborate as a part of the Developer Productivity group to optimize Continuous Integration and Delivery Pipeline
- Contribute to, if not lead the company’s performance, security, accessibility, and internationalization test strategy
- Support other engineering groups with test excellence - enable faster delivery and self service instead of building a bottleneck
- Help Affirm scale testing as the company scales it's growth
- Model testing as one piece of the quality puzzle, as part of a collaborative group that uses other common DevOps, Agile, and Modern techniques
What we look for
- Drive to change software testing and delivery for the better
- Demonstrated experience leading test engineering and/or DevOps organization
- Technical competence. We are looking for leaders who do software testing and help others do it. An operational understanding of DevOps, SaaS, Docker, Git, CI/CD, and Kubernetes will be relevant, along with technical fluency in Service Oriented Architectures and SOA and API testing.
- Progressive responsibility within DevOps, specifically testing, over the past 10+ years, with a preference for test enablement than testing as a managed service.
- Prior experience testing, launching, and supporting architecting, building, launching and maintaining complex products.
- Strong cross-team communication and collaboration skills.
- Proven ability to hire and build teams.