Coinbase has built the world's leading compliant cryptocurrency platform serving over 68 million accounts in more than 100 countries. With multiple successful products, and our vocal advocacy for blockchain technology, we have played a major part in mainstream awareness and adoption of cryptocurrency. We are proud to offer an entire suite of products that are helping build the cryptoeconomy and increase economic freedom around the world.
There are a few things we look for across all hires we make at Coinbase, regardless of role or team. First, we look for signals that a candidate will thrive in a culture like ours, where we default to trust, embrace feedback, disrupt ourselves, and expect sustained high performance because we play as a championship team. Second, we expect all employees to commit to our mission-focused approach to our work. Finally, we seek people with the desire and capacity to build and share expertise in the frontier technologies of crypto and blockchain, in whatever way is most relevant to their role.
Reporting to the Acquisitions & Ventures Finance Senior Director, you will play a critical role in helping the Company achieve its mission through inorganic growth. This team leads the end-to-end Acquisitions and Ventures processes for Finance. As a key member of this team, you will be responsible for all accounting for acquisitions and investments. To be successful, you must have a passion for complex accounting topics and possess direct acquisitions and investments experience. You will work cross-functionally throughout the deal lifecycle and must be able to effectively collaborate with and influence key partners and stakeholders such as Corporate Development, Legal and partner accounting leads.
What you’ll be doing (ie. job duties):
- Provide technical accounting and pro forma presentation advice around deal structure and terms, and provide technical accounting expertise during the deal negotiation phase.
- Perform research to determine appropriate accounting and reporting treatment under relevant standards for all transactions.
- Complete all post-close accounting related deliverables for acquisitions and investments.
- Assess significant accounting practices of target companies.
- Partner with third party valuation firms to prepare valuation reports.
- Facilitate audit requests from external auditors and provide support for any external reporting requirements for the transaction.
- Communicate the financial statement impact of acquisitions and investments to key stakeholders across Finance and Accounting.
- Review the opening balance sheet for acquired entities and validate accounts balances.
- Prepare processes for mapping and trial balance uploads, lead efforts to automate in partnership with Coinbase’s systems teams.
- Lead impairment testing processes as required by Coinbase accounting policy.
- Build positive relationships with key stakeholders including: deal leaders, acquired finance personnel, internal finance leaders, other cross-functional teams who participate in the M&A process.
- Lead strategic projects as needs arise (within or outside of M&A).
What we look for in you (ie. job requirements):
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or Finance with a CPA or equivalent.
- 7+ years experience of related work experience, across Big 4 and industry.
- Strong technical accounting skills.
- Proficient with GAAP research tools and the FASB codification including ASC Topics, 321, 323, 805, 815, 718, and 820.
- Excellent interpersonal, oral and written communication skills.
- Outstanding detail-orientation.
Nice to haves:
- Crypto industry experience.
Coinbase is committed to diversity in its workforce and is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sex, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation or any other basis protected by applicable law. Coinbase will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. For US applicants, you may view Pay Transparency, Employee Rights and Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law notices by clicking on their corresponding links. Additionally, Coinbase participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations, as required by law.
Coinbase is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to [email protected] coinbase.com and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. For quick access to screen reading technology compatible with this site click here to download a free compatible screen reader (free step by step tutorial can be found here). Please contact [email protected] coinbase.com for additional information or to request accommodations.Global Data Privacy Notice for Job Candidates and Applicants
Depending on your location, the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) may regulate the way we manage the data of job applicants. Our full notice outlining how data will be processed as part of the application procedure for applicable locations is available here: Ireland/EU, United Kingdom, and California. By submitting your application, you are agreeing to our use and processing of your data as required.