Affirm is reinventing credit to make it more honest and friendly, giving consumers the flexibility to buy now and pay later without any hidden fees or compounding interest. Affirm, Inc. proudly includes Affirm, PayBright, and Returnly.
We are looking for an individual who has a strong passion for technical accounting and understanding the economic and business impacts of sophisticated business transactions. This individual will work closely with our financial reporting, G/L accounting, and internal controls teams, and other cross-functional stakeholders to develop accounting memoranda and position papers on capital markets transactions, treasury activities, strategic investments, and other special projects. You will remain up to date on relevant developments coming from accounting standard-setting bodies (FASB/IASB) and the SEC on unique and complex financial reporting matters. Additionally, you will actively participate in and promote learning culture through ongoing self-initiated learning and knowledge sharing activities within the accounting organization and across key internal partners.
What you'll do
- Assist in the preparation and review of quarterly and annual filings with the SEC (10-K, 10-Q, 8-K, and others), including drafting of financial statement schedules (debt, securitizations and VIEs, and fair value among others), and completing SEC and GAAP checklists.
- Responsible for the technical accounting analysis on securitizations, third party whole loan sales, warehouse funding arrangements, debt issuance, strategic investments, and other capital markets or treasury initiatives by identifying and addressing accounting issues through the preparation of technical accounting memos.
- Perform corporate contract reviews for accounting recognition considerations
- Assist in operationalizing new/complex transactions and function as a liaison for Controllership with the Legal, Capital Markets, and Treasury teams on new initiatives including considering impacts on operational accounting.
- Work with Technical Accounting Senior Manager and Director to establish timelines and prioritization of monthly and quarterly deliverables
- Perform internal controls in compliance with SOX related to reporting and other complex technical accounting areas.
What we look for
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting
- CPA required (may consider candidates on track to earn their CPA in the near term)
- 3-5 years’ work experience in accounting, including Big 4 accounting firm experience
- Solid understanding of US GAAP, IFRS, and SEC rules and regulations
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- The desire to improve broken processes and make your own job easier over time
- Passion for Affirm and a strong interest in technology
Location - Remote Canada
Affirm is proud to be a remote-first company! The majority of our roles are remote and can be located anywhere in the U.S. and Canada (with the exception of the U.S. Territories, Quebec, Yukon, Nunavut, and the Northwest Territories) unless the job indicates a different global location. We are currently building operations in Spain, Poland, and Australia. Employees in remote roles have the option of working remotely or from an Affirm office in their country of hire, and may occasionally travel to an Affirm office or elsewhere for required meetings or team-building events. Our offices in Chicago, New York, Pittsburgh, Salt Lake City, San Francisco and Toronto will remain operational and accessible for anyone to use on a voluntary basis, subject to local COVID-19 guidelines.
At Affirm, People Come First is one of our core values, and that’s why diversity and inclusion are vital to our priorities as an equal opportunity employer. You can read about our D&I program here and our progress thus far in our 2020 DEI Report.
We also believe It’s On Us to provide an inclusive interview experience for all, including people with disabilities. We are happy to provide reasonable accommodations to candidates in need of individualized support during the hiring process.