Payroll Manager at Upwork
Upwork ($UPWK) is the leading tech solution for companies looking to hire the best talent, maintain flexibility, and get more done. We’re passionate about our mission to create economic opportunities so people have better lives. Every year, more than $2 billion of work is done through Upwork by skilled professionals who want the freedom of working anytime, anywhere. Top companies connecting with extraordinary talent around the globe? Upwork is how.
The Payroll Manager is responsible for the administration of payroll for all salaried and hourly employees. This role maintains confidentiality, accuracy, full compliance, and strong internal controls and drives processes to eliminate waste and improve efficiency. This role will be an integral member of our growing and dynamic Accounting team. This role will ensure timely and accurate processing of payroll and all variable compensation. This role is a critical role to the day-to-day operations of the company, interacting daily with Executive, HR, Finance and Accounting Leaders.Your Responsibilities:
- Prepare, process or review semi-monthly full cycle US exempt and non-exempt payroll; including but not limited to, benefits, taxes and off-cycle requests while ensuring compliance with Federal, State and local regulations.
- Prepare, process or review payroll for equity transactions including ESPP, NSO option exercised, Restricted Stock Units (RSUs) vested, and stock sales through 10b5-1 plans
- Ensure the accuracy of payroll, including but not limited to: base pay, bonuses, stock compensation, commissions, payroll taxes, employee changes, new hires, 401K, medical, H.S.A. and other deductions.
- Partner with Human Resources on all matters involving employees compensation, benefits and disability payments. Understand proper taxation of employer paid benefits, including 401(k) contributions and funding.
- Assist Sr. Manager to enhance internal control environment and comply with Sabanes-Oxley (“SOX”)
- Assist Sr. Manager for month-end payroll tasks
- This position can be remote in one of the 13 states we can hire or based onsite in our Chicago office
- At minimum, 5+ years experience processing payroll (inclusive of payroll processing across multiple states/sites and business units)
- At minimum, 2 years experience processing equity related payroll including but not limited to stock option exercises, employee stock purchase plans, taxes related to RSUs vested
- Workday payroll experience is a plus
- Excellent skills using MS Word, Excel, Power Point, and GSuite
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and exercise extreme discretion
- Excellent problem solving/judgment skills, and high level of attention to detail and accuracy
- Strong communication and organizational skills, and the ability to work under pressure
- Ability to handle and prioritize multiple tasks and meet all deadlines
Come change how the world works.
At Upwork, you’ll shape talent solutions for how the world works today. We’re a remote-first organization supported by offices in Santa Clara and Chicago, working together to create exciting remote work opportunities for a global community of professionals.
Our vibrant culture is built on shared values and our mission to create economic opportunities so that people have better lives. We build amazing teams, put our community first, and have a bias toward action. We encourage everyone to bring their whole selves to work and grow together through development opportunities, mentorship, and employee resource groups. Oh yeah, we’ve also got amazing benefits.
Check out our Life at Upwork page to learn more about the employee experience.
Upwork is proudly committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we never discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical condition), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.