Editorial Intern - Summer 2020 - San Francisco, CA at Rally Health
At Rally Health we strive to put health in the hands of the individual. It’s our mission, and it drives everything we do. Our aim is to empower people with easy-to-use online and mobile tools that help them take charge of their health and health care, from improving their diet and fitness to selecting health benefits, and choosing the right doctor at the right price for their needs.
We take pride in our culture, built on a deep and sincere drive to help people live healthier lives. To do this, we are committed to innovating at every level. Want to gain experience working in a high-energy, fast-paced environment that is both competitive and fun? Well, today is your lucky day! Rally Health, part of the UnitedHealth Group portfolio of companies, is currently seeking an Editorial Intern in our San Francisco, CA office.
You will work alongside the top-notch Rally editorial team to create and program engaging content about a variety of health-related topics, ranging from food and fitness to health care and mental health.
We write in a conversational tone, prize easy readability, and are passionate about our high editorial standards. (We are also fans of the Oxford comma, in case you couldn’t already tell.) We use credible evidence-based information to guide our content decisions, and we report with objectivity and balance.
The ideal candidate will be smart, self-motivated, and comfortable juggling many things in our fast-paced environment while maintaining fanatic attention to detail. Prior experience with health care content is preferred. Copy editing experience is a plus, as is experience creating B2B content such as case studies and white papers.
What you’ll get in return: A chance to work with an experienced editorial team, publish high-quality stories, and see how editorial content plays an important role in building and maintaining audiences.
About the team:
The Rally editorial team is responsible for creating and programming a range of high-quality content on a variety of health-related topics, from food and fitness to health care and mental health. We write in a conversational tone, prize easy readability, and are passionate about our high editorial standards. (We are also fans of the Oxford comma, in case you couldn’t already tell.) We use credible evidence-based information to guide our content decisions, and we report with objectivity and balance. Our team members have worked at top US publications such as Consumer Reports, the New York Times, USA Today, Women's Health, and Good Housekeeping.
The teams' impact on the company:
The Rally editorial team is responsible for a solid chunk of ongoing product engagement and brand awareness, whether it's through weekly newsletters or creating content that appears in social posts. We also create content for the product itself, which meets the highest clinical standards.
Day to day responsibilities:
- Analyze in-house data for trends and story ideas.
- Pitch and produce original content that establishes Rally as a fresh, credible voice in health care and complements our partner content.
- Program licensed and original content on our sites and email newsletters.
- SEO-ify existing articles
- Port current content into new CMS
- Draft social posts.
- Review partner feeds, choose which articles to make available to our various products, and tag accordingly
- Require "rising" Junior or Senior pursuing a BA/BS degree in Journalism, Communications, or another related field. Prefer Graduate student in Journalism.
- Experience as a writer, editor, content marketer, or content programmer. Health and wellness, medical, or science background strongly preferred.
- Demonstrated editorial judgment and ability to package and program stories for maximum engagement while maintaining the highest editorial standards.
- Background in producing and handling a range of content, including text, photos, video, graphics, multimedia, interactives, and social posts.
- Headline, copy editing, and photo editing experience. Familiarity with AP style a plus.
- Comfortable with metrics, with demonstrated ability to monitor site performance for editorial insights and improvements. Familiarity with Google Analytics a plus.
- Basic web publishing skills (HTML/XML, Photoshop, etc)
- Collaborative spirit
- Familiarity with Google Enterprise (Gmail, Gcal, Google Docs, etc.)
- Strong social communication skills (verbal & written)
- Excellent organizational skills including prioritizing, scheduling, time management, and meeting deadlines
- Ability to work confidently, both independently and on a team
- Naturally curious and creative: constantly looking for ways to improve upon things
This position will be located in our San Francisco office. We do not offer relocation or housing for this role.
Why join Rally? On top of an innovative work atmosphere and a chance to help people change their lives, we offer competitive pay, daily catered lunches, and an extensive benefits package for all full-time employees (including medical, dental, vision and 401(k)). In addition, we offer the ability to grow, while truly making an impact in the health care system.
Rally Health is committed to ensuring that its workforce reflects America’s diverse population. Rally Health knows that such diversity will enrich us with the talent, energy, perspective and inspiration it needs to achieve its mission. Rally Health believes in a policy of equal employment and opportunity for all people based on merit and commitment to the principles of diversity. It is our policy to recruit, hire, train, and promote individuals in all job titles, and administer all programs, without regard to race, color, religion, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, sex, age, marital status, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, family responsibilities, genetic information, disability, matriculation, political affiliation, veteran status, union affiliation, or any other category protected by applicable federal, state or local laws.
Individuals with disabilities and veterans are encouraged to apply. Applicants who require an accommodation related to the application and/or review process should notify Talent Acquisition ([email protected]).
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.