Calm’s content library and the languages in which such content is offered are expanding along with the growing number of high quality opportunities to gain brand exposure. Thus, the corresponding number of contracts is climbing and the nature of the branding relationships is growing more complex.
Copyright, trademark and rights of publicity underlie those contracts, so experience with these legal issues is crucial. Relationships that require Calm content to be distributed elsewhere (other than the Calm Platform) would benefit from experience with a variety of distribution and publication platforms/channels.
About the Role:
We’re looking for a hard-working, self-starter to serve as our first Content Legal Lead to help build and scale our growing Legal team. A successful candidate will work with our Content team (meditation, music, Sleep Stories and Masterclasses/Daily Coach) and Partnerships team to structure, negotiate and draft agreements required to develop, produce and distribute our slate of original and licensed audio content, including talent services agreements, talent releases, IP licensing agreements and co-promotional collaboration agreements. This role will advise on issues that impact both the legal and business aspects of production.
You’ll be responsible for maintaining and developing new template agreements to stay current on new licensing models to ensure that the templates, current and future agreements include the ideal provisions to meet the business’ minimum requirements as well as consult with decision-makers to inform their business strategy decisions. You will assist with and advise on deal structures and negotiations.
- Draft, review and negotiate license agreements, MSAs, amendments and statements of work and draft and maintain templates of the same for all new and existing Content sources (narrators, writers/authors, meditation and motivational instructors, artists, musicians and composers) and Marketing and Partnerships brands and companies.
- Work with internal teams (Product, Partnerships, Marketing and User Acquisition) to inform future and current legal tactics, template provisions and the legal work queue.
- Support Calm’s legal needs generally.
- An attorney licensed to practice law in California or New York
- Strong and high quality law firm experience with 5+ years of in-house legal experience that is a combination of entertainment industry legal issues (copyright, trademark, music publishing, publicity rights) and familiarity with software development and app-based and web-based publishing.
- Strong experience in production and development of audio or audio-visual content, with background negotiating agreements related to publishing, distribution, production and rights acquisition, as well as talent services.
- Track record of leading deal negotiations with ability to incorporate needs of cross-functional stakeholders into a cohesive strategy for deal structure.
- Up-to-date, with the support of Calm’s legal subject matter experts, on U.S. and international laws and regulations dealing with privacy, data security, consumer protection and marketing.
- A highly motivated self-starter who thrives in a fast-paced environment who enjoys being part of multiple teams and can be sensitive to multiple priorities
- Excellent organization, communication and interpersonal skills
- Experience and familiarity with industry guilds and labor unions, such as SAG/FTRA
- Competitive salary and equity
- Unlimited PTO
- We pay your medical, dental, & vision insurance premiums
- Commuter benefits
- Life insurance and disability benefits
- Apple equipment
- Opportunity to work with a product focused on making the world happier and healthier
- And much more!
Calm is deeply committed to diversity, equity and inclusion, both in our hiring practices and in our experiences as a Calm employee. We strive to create a mindful and respectful environment where everyone can bring their authentic self to work, and experience a culture that is free of harassment, racism, and discrimination.
Calm is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, genetic information, political views or activity, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
Calm is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. Please inform Calm’s Recruiting team if you need any assistance completing any forms or to otherwise participate in the application process.