Corporate Counsel at Affirm
Affirm is reinventing credit to make it more honest and friendly, giving consumers the flexibility to buy now and pay later without any hidden fees or compounding interest.
Affirm is seeking a talented and experienced attorney to join its lean and mighty Legal team as Corporate Counsel – Corporate, Securities and M&A. This individual will support various SEC reporting, disclosure, corporate secretarial, equity compensation, corporate governance and M&A matters. We are looking for someone that thrives in a fast-paced, dynamic and energetic environment.
Come join us in our mission to change consumer finance through better technology, lower costs, and increased transparency while providing the best customer experience!
What You'll Do
Your responsibilities will include:
- Assisting in the preparation of 10-Ks, 10-Qs, 8-Ks, proxy statements and other SEC filings and reports
- Leading the planning and execution of the annual meeting of stockholders
- Addressing disclosure matters and stock exchange, SEC and corporate law requirements
- Assisting with communications matters, including reviewing press releases and investor communications
- Assisting with board and committee meeting matters, including coordinating, preparing, and distributing board/committee materials, meeting agendas and meeting minutes
- Developing and implementing corporate governance programs and company policies
- Staying current on governance trends and best practices and SEC and stock exchange developments
- Supporting M&A and other strategic transactions
- Supporting the People and Finance teams on a variety of matters, including equity compensation programs
- Supporting ethics and compliance matters
What We Look For
- J.D. degree from an accredited law school and active membership in at least one state bar
- 7+ years of experience at a law firm with a sophisticated corporate, securities and M&A practice, at a large public company, or at a combination of both
- In-depth knowledge of securities law
- Significant experience advising clients on public company reporting and compliance matters, as well as corporate governance matters
- Experience in M&A transactions, including an understanding of M&A structures, deals, documents and legal issues
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, including the ability to negotiate, compromise and demonstrate diplomacy in sensitive situations, and to interact effectively with senior management
- Outstanding organizational, problem-solving, and analytical skills
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Careful attention to detail and strong quality of work product.
- Demonstrated ability to handle multiple projects, prioritize and meet deadlines.
- Ability to demonstrate good judgment in a fast-paced, high-growth, dynamic environment
- Inquisitive nature and comfort challenging current practices
- Ability to uphold the highest standards of discretion and confidentiality
- Proactive, enthusiastic and innovative team player with a strong work ethic
- Self-starter with intellectual curiosity, who is capable of learning on the job, taking initiative, developing new approaches when there are no precedents, and thriving within a team
We’re excited to announce that Affirm is now a remote-first company! This role can be located anywhere in the U.S. and Canada (with the exception of Quebec). Remote based employees may occasionally travel to an Affirm office for meetings or team building events. Our offices in San Francisco, New York City, Pittsburgh, Chicago, and Salt Lake City will remain operational and accessible for anyone to use on a voluntary basis.