Director, Merchandising at Minted
Sorry, this job was removed at 8:47 a.m. (PST) on Thursday, December 12, 2019
Minted is a design marketplace, sourcing creative content from independent artists around the globe and selling the best designs to the world in the form of art, home decor, and stationery. Founded in 2007 by Mariam Naficy on the principles of transparency and putting design first, we are early pioneers of crowdsourcing having launched our first design challenge in April 2008 and have held monthly art and design challenges ever since. Follow us on Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter to learn more. Our corporate headquarters is located near the waterfront in downtown San Francisco, with additional offices in Oakland and Kansas City and we're backed by Benchmark Capital, IDG Ventures SF, Menlo Ventures, Primera (angel investors include Marissa Mayer of Yahoo and Jeremy Stoppelman of Yelp). We're a team of smart, ambitious, creative, and passionate people who come from all walks of life. Might you be one of us?
Minted is seeking a strategic, analytical thinker with a strong interest and eye for design to learn crowdsourcing and merchandising and own categories at Minted. In rotations that build greater leadership positions and knowledge of Minted’s unique crowdsourcing model, this individual would start with one category focus, then over time rotate to other categories, with a focus on owning top line revenue growth. The ideal candidate has an unusual balance of left-brain / right-brain talent: s/he is a strong from an analytical and quantitative perspective, but intuitively understands the end-consumer, shops for this product, and loves great design. If you’re an MBA who has secretly wanted to drive a design brand and feel that you have great taste that has not necessarily been deployed in your professional life, this job is for you.
This individual believes that the selection of merchandise should be strongly driven by crowd opinion. S/he has superb business and shopper intuition, a passion for making decisions with data, comfort with the agility needed to change course in an entrepreneurial environment, and prefers collaborative, interdependent organization structures.
Reporting to the VP & GM of a category and overseeing one merchandising associate, this is a collaborative, cross-functional category management role with significant interaction with the Business Operations, Marketing, Product Management and senior management teams. This is a great role for someone looking to build brand, leadership skills, general management experience and a deep knowledge of e-commerce and entrepreneurship.
- Drive revenue for one of Minted’s categories, working cross-functionally to achieve sales and user experience.
- Drive vision for merchandise positioning and assortment, based on strategic planning, competitive trend analysis, metrics analysis and sales reporting. Optimize assortment using data and analysis drawn from Minted’s unique crowd curation model.
- Drive vision for onsite user experience shopping the category, including pricing, promotions, content features, information architecture, visual merchandising, and more.
- Own performance of each sub-category of product, as well as conversion and SKU-level productivity of merchandise. Develop sub-category sales forecasts and strategies to inform assortment and pricing decisions.
- Drive consumer and competitive research to provide insight into the customer and competitors’ shopping experiences and product offerings. Shop our own and competitors’ sites and stores regularly. Identify merchandising & assortment needs based on analytics, customer feedback and usage, competitive analysis, and research.
- Analyze real-time performance in-season to identify areas of risk and opportunity, and rapidly develop plans to address.
- Partner with the Artist Relations team on recruitment and retention of artists in the category.
- Drive merchandise-related A/B testing plans to drive conversion, feature uptake, and ATV
- Build and manage analytics around category page engagement, conversion, filter usage, and shopping behavior
- Coach and develop junior merchants.
- A strategic, consumer-centric thinker. You are a superb strategic thinker who has proven the ability to identify new opportunities. You understand consumer segments deeply and intuitively, and you naturally gravitate to the consumer when answering questions or considering strategies.
- Results oriented. You are most comfortable in work environments which are outcome-oriented and merit-based, and are highly motivated by goal accomplishment.
- A passionate customer advocate. You are ready to put the customer first and influence others across the company to think similarly.
- Receptive to change. You are flexible, adaptable, innovative, and open in response to competitive pressure and market change.
- A collaborative thinker. You enjoy an environment that has been structured for collaboration and interdependency, drawing on strong functional areas to build your business.
- A systems thinker. You intuitively understand interdependencies, ask follow-up questions, and drive to solutions that balance the success of initiatives across revenue, quality, brand, and cost goals.
- An outstanding leader. You speak up when needed and resolve contradictory demands and timelines in order to lead a team and deliver against the company vision and goals.
- A born communicator. You create common knowledge, generate buy-in and influence stakeholders and senior management towards recommended decisions.
- Hands-on. We have a small analytics team at Minted and expect business owners to pull their own data and drive their own analysis.
- Thrives under pressure. You can flex fast twitch muscles and meet aggressive timelines.
- At least 2 years of investment banking or management consulting experience
- An MBA (required).
- 5+ years of business experience, with ideally some experience in or exposure to retail, E-Commerce, or consumer products businesses.
- A passion for shopping and design, and a strong design eye. Curious about design trends and excited about unlocking the creativity of our independent artists.
- Outstanding Excel skills. Able to and loves building their own models.
- A clear understanding of financial retail measurements and how to impact them. Experience in ecommerce and understanding of ecommerce performance metrics and conversion drivers is a plus.
- A proven track record in driving results. Owns complex problems and delivers results regardless of impediments and resourcing
- Superb analytical skills. Loves data and is able to analyze a problem, use data to articulate a recommendation, and take action accordingly.
Minted is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to inclusion and diversity. We welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives and will consider all qualified applicants for employment in accordance with all state, local, and federal laws. Minted participates in the E-verify program.
Read Full Job Description