Infrastructure Engineer, Data Platform
Nearly every company in the world runs on custom business software: Gartner estimates that up to 50% of all code is written for internal usage. This is the operational software for refunding orders, underwriting loans, moderating content, managing marketplaces, rolling out new features, onboarding employees, analyzing transactions, providing customer support…the list is nearly endless. For most companies, building and maintaining all of these tools demands a lot of engineering time—scarce, expensive resources better put to use on customer-facing products.
At Retool, we’re designing a new type of development environment that makes it dramatically faster and easier to build all of this software. Retool unifies the ease of visual programming with the power of code, while abstracting away the tedious and repetitive tasks of development. We believe that the future of software development lies in being a force multiplier for developers and technical builders, helping them move considerably faster and build a lot more software. It’s akin to a new version of Visual Basic, HyperCard, or Flash—with a bit of Figma and some future-of-programming vibes thrown on top. Today, our customers span from small startups building their first operational tools, to Fortune 500 companies building mission-critical apps for thousands of users across their business.
WHY WE'RE LOOKING FOR YOU:
Retool is a fast-growing company with quickly evolving business needs. We’re looking to hire engineers to help us build out our data ecosystem to serve the needs of our business today and for broader scale years from now. We're looking for someone who is ready to get their hands dirty, is motivated by having an impact on the business, and is constantly curious. This is the right role for someone who thrives while making sense of the blurry space that is data at a high growth startup.
WHAT YOU'LL DO:
You’ll design and build a foundation that strengthens Retool’s data culture at scale. You’ll take on projects that solidify Retool’s reporting capabilities and help the company remain data-driven. You'll develop and scale ingestion infrastructure, optimize our ETLs, and design our data architecture for scale, with a keen eye for data warehouse management and tooling. You'll also take on ownership of our data stack to ensure that your teammates are able to access the data they need to make decisions and technical teams are able to quickly implement events. We’ve already built out a solid stack on top of Segment, Databricks, DBT, and of course, Retool, but we need your help to ensure it scales with the company as our user base grows.
WHO YOU'LL WORK WITH:
You’ll work with stakeholders across the business, including data scientists, finance, marketing, engineering, product, operations, and support. You’ll be joining a broader team of Retools who are passionate about serving our customers, enjoy collaborating to build an incredibly innovative product, and enjoy swapping stories. If this sounds like you, we’d love to hear from you!
IN THIS ROLE, YOU'LL:
- Architect and scale a modern data platform that will be used internally by all of Retool
- Build and maintain scalable ETL pipelines to efficiently process and transform large volumes of data from source systems into our data warehouse
- Work with our engineering teams to ensure robust instrumentation across areas of the product
- Partner with business stakeholders to synthesize and develop requirements for core tables
- Implement monitoring and observability to guarantee data quality and consistency
- Articulate and implement best practices around ingestion frameworks and data pipeline development
THE SKILLSET YOU'll BRING:
- Background in Data Engineering, 5+ years of experience building and maintaining scalable data infrastructure, including distributed processing solutions (e.g. Spark), cloud-based data lakes and warehouses (e.g. Databricks, Snowflake, BigQuery), workflow management (e.g. Airflow, Luigi), and data transformation tools (e.g. DBT)
- Experience using Infrastructure as Code (IaC) to automate data infrastructure provisioning and management (i.e. Terraform)
- Experience implementing and defining best data practices at scale
- Experience proactively identifying opportunities to improve ETL & dashboard performance and cost
- Excellent business acumen with the ability to translate stakeholder requirements into data models
- Proficiency with common git workflows and at least one programming language (e.g. Python, Scala, Java)
- A solution-oriented growth mindset. You’ll need to be a self-starter and thrive in a dynamic environment
- A bias towards communication and collaboration with business and technical stakeholders
- Quantitative rigor and systems thinking
For candidates based in the United States, the annual base salary range is listed below. This salary range may be inclusive of several career levels at Retool and will be narrowed during the interview process based on a number of factors such as (but not limited to), scope and responsibilities, the candidate’s experience and qualifications, and location.
Additional compensation in the form(s) of equity, and/or commission/bonuses are dependent on the position offered. Retool provides a comprehensive benefit plan, including medical, dental, vision, and 401(k). Pay and benefits are subject to change at any time, consistent with the terms of any applicable compensation or benefit plans.
United States pay range
Retool offers generous benefits to all employees. For more information, please visit the benefits and perks section of our careers page!
Retool is currently set up to employ all roles in the US and specific roles in the UK. To find roles that can be employed in the UK, please refer to our careers page and review the indicated locations.