Senior Software Engineer, Machine Learning at Chime
Chime is the largest and fastest-growing player in the challenger-banking space, providing mobile and online banking technology in the U.S. and facilitating over 5M accounts with no physical branches. We’re a technology company relentlessly focused on helping our members achieve financial peace of mind. That’s why we offer access to an award-winning bank account that doesn’t charge hidden fees, can give members early access to their paychecks, and enables them to grow their savings automatically. And we’re just getting started. We are proud of our mission, devoted to our members, and passionate about applying technology to the challenge of making financial health a reality for everyone.
We have one of the most experienced management teams in Fintech and have raised over $800M in funding from DST, General Atlantic, Iconiq, Coatue, Dragoneer, Menlo, Access, Forerunner, and others. If you’re looking to join a fast-growing company with a beloved, daily-use product and an authentic mission that puts people first, we want to meet you.
About the Role
In this role, you’ll be a part of the Machine Learning and Data Science team that combats fraud, improves member experience, creates recommendations for users and much more. You’ll help implementing ML models in production and help build the infrastructure to train, deploy, track and measure them.
- Enhance the ML labelling infrastructure
- Design and implement the APIs and interaction with ML models and the rest of the company’s systems
- Develop the metrics infrastructure and visualization tools
- Work with the data team’s infrastructure to build real time and offline feature databases
- Work with the data team to create the infrastructure to build and maintain the datasets from which models are created
- Build the model serving systems with which we can deploy our models to production
- As we grow, scale the ML system to be able to support more use cases and ML model types
- Move towards building and releasing your own models with the help of the team
- MS in CS or related field with 4+ years of experience in implementing and deploying large scale distributed systems
- 5+ years of building distributed systems and/or scalable backend systems and the ability to maintain such systems in production
- Strong programming skills in Python. Intermediate to Advanced knowledge of SQL and ability to wrangle data from many disparate data sources
- Strong software engineering fundamentals - understanding of data structures and algorithms, big O-notation, ability to maintain a test suite and write clear maintainable code
- Demonstrated leadership and self-direction, and willingness to both teach others and learn new techniques/tools
- Experience with supporting teams which use Machine Learning and or working directly with ML models
- Knowledge of Docker and Kubernetes is a big plus otherwise the ability to pick up such technologies quickly. We have a dedicated DevOps team but these tools will be the bread and butter of real time ML systems you will help build
- Technologies we use: Airflow, Spark, Kafka, Redis, MySQL, Postgres, Python, AWS, Snowflake and Looker, among many others
- Familiarity and interest in learning Machine Learning and implementing models in the future is a must
- Experience with big data processing and storage systems. Experience with some of the following is preferred: Hadoop, Airflow, Spark, Kafka.
What we offer
- Competitive salary based on experience, with medical and dental benefits
- Free snacks and drinks, plus weekly catered lunches
- Flexible vacation policy
- Monthly happy hours and company events
- Dog-friendly office
- A challenging and fulfilling opportunity to join one of the most experienced teams in FinTech and help create a completely new kind of bank
We know great work isn’t done alone. We’re building a team of individuals to Chime in with their different strengths to benefit our employees and members. We strongly believe that different backgrounds and ideas are a competitive advantage; we hire candidates of any race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, marital or family status, disability, Veteran status, and any other status. Chime is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know. To learn more about how Chime collects and uses your personal information during the application process, please see the Chime Applicant Privacy Notice.