Research Manager, Tokens at Anthropic (San Francisco, CA)
You’ll lead the “tokens” team, which manages infrastructure related to data and prepares data for our training runs. We believe that there are three key ingredients to making progress in AI: compute, data, and algorithms. Data is often paid the least attention to externally, but we think it can make as much of a difference to the quality of the model as each of the other two. This team has three critical responsibilities that all must be executed well in order for Anthropic to succeed:
1. Science of Data: Once we’ve acquired data, we need to figure out the best ways to use it and make sure we’re in shape for training runs. This work primarily consists of coming up with ideas, doing ML experiments, and following up with careful analysis of the results.
2. Data Availability: Large language models need significant amounts of data to be able to train, and having the necessary number of tokens is essential for improving our language models. The data needs to be high quality and diverse for the performance of the model and also to supply research datasets.
3. Infrastructure: The team maintains data pipeline infrastructure as well as the tokenizer required to rapidly process data on the order of terabytes. This infrastructure is relied upon by other research teams to easily manipulate their data as well as the tokens team to quickly turn around training datasets and do research.
Anthropic is an AI safety and research company that’s working to build reliable, interpretable, and steerable AI systems. We want AI to be safe and beneficial for our customers and for society as a whole. Our interdisciplinary team has experience across ML, physics, policy, business and product.
- Be responsible for delivering as large and high quality of a dataset as possible for our large training runs
- Prioritize the team’s work in improving our tokens and infrastructure, in collaboration with senior engineers and other stakeholders
- Steer cycles and processes of our research in support of the science of data work
- Guide the team through growth and evolving research focus in uncharted territory
- Coach and develop your reports to decide how they would like to advance in their careers and help them do so
You may be a good fit if you:
- Believe that advanced AI systems could have a transformative effect on the world, and want to help make sure that transformation goes well
- Have an interest in understanding the role of data in language models, working on large scale systems or orchestrating one-off research tasks
- Are an experienced manager and enjoy practicing management as a discipline
- At least 1 year of prior engineering management or equivalent experience.
- You can come into our San Francisco office at least 25% of the time.
- People management: Coaching, performance evaluation, mentorship, and career development.
- Project (research) management: Prioritization, communicating across team/org boundaries, and keeping research on track.
- Technical expertise: Keeping a strong understanding of which datasets are valuable to the training, understanding how data works in language model training and being able to maintain good practices on the codebase and infrastructure. We expect this to be a skill that is developed on the job, and will be looking for related experiences such as having research experience, being well-read in LLMs, or having led work that involves rapid hacking and interpreting complex results. Skills in research management will be prioritized over engineering management.
- Recruiting: Predicting staffing needs, designing interview loops, evaluating candidates, closing candidates.
- The expected salary range for this position is $300k - $520k.
Location-based hybrid policy: Currently, we expect all staff to be in our office at least 25% of the time. For this role, we prefer candidates who are able to be in our office more than 25% of the time. We have a preference for candidates who are based in the Bay Area, as most of the team is in San Francisco, though we believe that candidates with skills managing a remote team can be just as effective.
Deadline to apply: None. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
US visa sponsorship: We do sponsor visas! However, we aren't able to successfully sponsor visas for every role and every candidate; operations roles are especially difficult to support. But if we make you an offer, we will make every effort to get you into the United States, and we retain an immigration lawyer to help with this.
We encourage you to apply even if you do not believe you meet every single qualification. Not all strong candidates will meet every single qualification as listed. Research shows that people who identify as being from underrepresented groups are more prone to experiencing imposter syndrome and doubting the strength of their candidacy, so we urge you not to exclude yourself prematurely and to submit an application if you're interested in this work. We think AI systems like the ones we're building have enormous social and ethical implications. We think this makes representation even more important, and we strive to include a range of diverse perspectives on our team.
Compensation and Benefits*
Anthropic’s compensation package consists of three elements: salary, equity, and benefits. We are committed to pay fairness and aim for these three elements collectively to be highly competitive with market rates.
Equity - On top of this position's salary (listed above), equity will be a major component of the total compensation. We aim to offer higher-than-average equity compensation for a company of our size, and communicate equity amounts at the time of offer issuance.
Benefits - Benefits we offer include:
- Optional equity donation matching at a 3:1 ratio, up to 50% of your equity grant.
- Comprehensive health, dental, and vision insurance for you and all your dependents.
- 401(k) plan with 4% matching.
- 21 weeks of paid parental leave.
- Unlimited PTO – most staff take between 4-6 weeks each year, sometimes more!
- Stipends for education, home office improvements, commuting, and wellness.
- Fertility benefits via Carrot.
- Daily lunches and snacks in our office.
- Relocation support for those moving to the Bay Area.
* This compensation and benefits information is based on Anthropic’s good faith estimate for this position, in San Francisco, CA, as of the date of publication and may be modified in the future. The level of pay within the range will depend on a variety of job-related factors, including where you place on our internal performance ladders, which is based on factors including past work experience, relevant education, and performance on our interviews or in a work trial.
How we're different
We believe that the highest-impact AI research will be big science. At Anthropic we work as a single cohesive team on just a few large-scale research efforts. And we value impact — advancing our long-term goals of steerable, trustworthy AI — rather than work on smaller and more specific puzzles. We view AI research as an empirical science, which has as much in common with physics and biology as with traditional efforts in computer science. We're an extremely collaborative group, and we host frequent research discussions to ensure that we are pursuing the highest-impact work at any given time. As such, we greatly value communication skills. We're trying to build a core of knowledge and intuition about the most robustly effective innovations in AI, and so thoroughly-documented null results are almost as valuable as positive discoveries. We do not have boundaries between engineering and research, and we expect all of our technical staff to contribute to both as needed.
The easiest way to understand our research directions is to read our recent research. This research continues many of the directions our team worked on prior to Anthropic, including: GPT-3, Circuit-Based Interpretability, Multimodal Neurons, Scaling Laws, AI & Compute, Concrete Problems in AI Safety, and Learning from Human Preferences.
Come work with us!
Anthropic is a public benefit corporation based in San Francisco. We offer competitive compensation and benefits, optional equity donation matching, generous vacation and parental leave, flexible working hours, and a lovely office space in which to collaborate with colleagues.