In-House Legal Intern, Health Benefits
Gusto is a modern, online people platform that helps small businesses take care of their teams. On top of full-service payroll, Gusto offers health insurance, 401(k)s, expert HR, and team management tools. Today, Gusto offices in Denver, San Francisco, and New York serve more than 100,000 businesses nationwide.
Would you like to find out what it’s like to work in-house at a fast-growing fintech company? Join our Legal and Compliance team at Gusto!
We are looking for law school interns who are energetic, detail-oriented, and efficient multitaskers, who would enjoy working collaboratively in an in-house legal environment. You shine in a fast-paced environment and thrive on the success of a job well done. You’re the type of person who will leave no stone left unturned when conducting legal research. You are eager to develop skills in critical thinking, operationalizing regulatory requirements, innovating with product and engineering teams, and legal research. And you will have a fun and memorable experience while doing all the above!
Please include your resume in your submission, and provide your writing sample and law school transcript later when it becomes available.
Here’s what you’ll do day-to-day:
- Help the Legal and Compliance team be more productive, effective, and organized.
- Conduct legal research and written analysis for our internal teams, and partner with them to create solutions that comply with HIPAA, ERISA, ACA, health insurance and employment laws, and regulatory requirements from the DOL, HHS, and more.
- Respond to the day-to-day needs of operations, sales, product, and engineering teams.
- Create legal and compliance “how-to” presentations.
- Create legal and compliance wikis for use by the whole company.
Here’s what we're looking for:
- Rising 2Ls available full-time for at least 10 weeks during Summer 2020 (40 hours a week).
- Able to think critically and come up with creative solutions.
- Experience in researching federal and state regulations.
- Strong legal writing and analysis, and ability to communicate to non-legal audiences.
- Extremely organized and strong attention to detail.
- Thrives working cross-functionally.
- Enthusiastic about learning new disciplines.
- Past experience working with benefits, health, and/or insurance companies.
- Past experience working at a start-up or tech company.
- Interest in the fintech, benefits, health, and/or insurance industries.
- The internship is paid.
- The internship is not eligible for school credit.
- The internship is located in San Francisco.
Our customers come from all walks of life and so do we. We hire great people from a wide variety of backgrounds, not just because it's the right thing to do, but because it makes our company stronger. If you share our values and our enthusiasm for small businesses, you will find a home at Gusto.