Welcome to Planet. We believe in using space to help life on Earth.
Planet designs, builds, and operates the largest constellation of imaging satellites in history. This constellation delivers an unprecedented dataset of empirical information via a revolutionary cloud-based platform to authoritative figures in commercial, environmental, and humanitarian sectors. We are both a space company and data company all rolled into one.
Customers and users across the globe use Planet's data to develop new technologies, drive revenue, power research, and solve our world’s toughest obstacles.
As we control every component of hardware design, manufacturing, data processing, and software engineering, our office is a truly inspiring mix of experts from a variety of domains.
We have a people-centric approach toward culture and community and we strive to iterate in a way that puts our team members first and prepares our company for growth. Join Planet and be a part of our mission to change the way people see the world.
Planet is headquartered in San Francisco, California, Earth.
About the Role:
The spacecraft design team at Planet is seeking an RF/Antenna intern to design and test a new S/X band radio and antennas. Your mission will be to work with RF, electrical and mechanical engineers to develop a low SWaP (size, weight, power) radio and antenna that will ultimately be integrated into a tech demo satellite and launched into space.
Impact You’ll Own:
- Design S-band and X-band antennas for cubesats
- RF circuit design
- Bringup and validate the radio and antenna
- Write automation software and complete OTA testing of the radio
What You Bring:
- Experience with RF circuit design, transceivers, mixers, PA, LNAs or antenna design
- Familiarity with RF test equipment such as spectrum and network analyzers
- Experience with Matlab, Python, or C/C++
- BS in EE with a focus on RF or antenna classwork.
What Makes You Stand Out:
- MS or PhD in EE/Physics
- Hands on RF PCB layout and board bringup
- Prior lab experience testing RF circuits and antennas
- Experience with software defined radios
Benefits While Working at Planet:
- Comprehensive health plan
- Wellness and mental health programs
- Flexible time off
- Recognition programs
- Commuter benefits
- Learning and tuition reimbursement
- Parental leave for all types of parents
- Offsites and happy hours (virtual for now)
- Volunteering benefits via 1% Pledge
Some Press About Us:
Our CEO, Will Marshall featured on TED and featured in a Planet Blog
“Planet: Bringing Space Back Down to Earth”
Tiny, privately owned satellites are changing how we view the Earth features in NBC News
“Planet And Rocket Lab Create Mission Patch To Honor Women In Aerospace” —Planet Blog
Why we care so much about Belonging.
We’re dedicated to helping the whole Planet, and to do that we must strive to represent all of it within each of our offices and on all of our teams. That’s why Planet is guided by an ultimate north star of Belonging, dreaming big as we approach our ongoing work with diversity, equity and inclusion. If this job intrigues you, but you’re thinking you might not have all the qualifications, please... do apply! At Planet, we are looking for well-rounded people from around the world who can contribute to more ways than just what is listed in this job description. We don’t just fill positions, we aspire to fulfill people’s careers, most excited about folks who are motivated by our underlying humanitarian efforts. We are a few orbits around the sun before we get to where we want to be, so we hope you’re excited to come along for the ride.