Global AML Governance & Controls at Coinbase
Coinbase has built the world's leading compliant cryptocurrency platform serving over 30 million accounts in more than 100 countries. With multiple successful products, and our vocal advocacy for blockchain technology, we have played a major part in mainstream awareness and adoption of cryptocurrency. We are proud to offer an entire suite of products that are helping build the cryptoeconomy and increase economic freedom around the world.
There are a few things we look for across all hires we make at Coinbase, regardless of role or team. First, we look for signals that a candidate will thrive in a culture like ours, where we default to trust, embrace feedback, disrupt ourselves, and expect sustained high performance because we play as a championship team. Second, we expect all employees to commit to our mission-focused approach to our work. Finally, we seek people with the desire and capacity to build and share expertise in the frontier technologies of crypto and blockchain, in whatever way is most relevant to their role.
The Global AML Governance & Controls lead will be responsible for the day-to-day governance, management and oversight of Coinbase Global Anti-Money Laundering, Counter-Terrorism Financing, and Sanctions Compliance Program (“AML Program”). In this capacity, the role will be broadly responsible for supporting Coinbase in its mission to enable economic freedom while ensuring that Coinbase remains the most trusted and compliant exchange.
This role will report to the Global Head of AML, and will manage a team of 3-4 AML professional responsible for the effective execution of the governance framework, including leading the Global Financial Crimes Compliance Governance Forum, working with stakeholders across AML Compliance to develop and track key risk and performance metrics, support the AML Compliance team in centralizing relevant policies and procedures and ensuring adherence to relevant frameworks, providing sustained and consistent oversight of all AML related findings through resolution to ensure continuous improvement of the Coinbase AML Compliance Program.
In addition to these critical tasks, the Global AML Governance & Controls lead will be responsible for the annual execution of risk assessments globally, including enterprise level roll ups to ensure the operating effectiveness and sustainability of the Coinbase AML Compliance Program through effective program management and stakeholder coordination as well as the timely escalation of risks and challenges to the Global Head of AML.
This role will work with key stakeholders in AML Compliance and cross-functionally with relevant stakeholders in Compliance, Enterprise Risk, Customer Experience, and Compliance Tools & Analytics as necessary to ensure timely remediation of findings and operationalization of program enhancements, including, but not limited to, policies and procedures, MIS reporting, and AML risk advisory as appropriate.
What you’ll be doing (ie. job duties):
- Responsible for day-to-day governance and oversight of the global financial crime compliance program for Coinbase, including leading the Global Financial Crimes Compliance Governance Forum, ensuring timely tracking and resolution of all findings or corrective actions based on internal or external review, as well as self-identified issues.
- Management of annual AML/OFAC/ABC Risk Assessments, including regular review of applicable methodology for sufficiency in light of any changes to the business or regulatory landscape, as well as maintenance of geographic risk rating methodology
- Support the AML Compliance team in centralizing relevant policies and procedures and ensure adherence to relevant frameworks, working with Enterprise Risk Management stakeholders as necessary to ensure timely approvals of policies through the Enterprise Risk Management Working Group.
- Oversee a team of AML professionals supporting various program processes, including findings management/internal controls, risk assessment and training.
- Manage AML-related internal and external Audits, including Audit request management, stakeholder coordination, and oversight of timely corrective action plan development.
- Manage and advise on Coinbase AML MIS reporting initiatives, including timely reporting, development of key risk and performance metrics, and coordination of relevant stakeholders as necessary to support timely MIS development.
- Support the Global Head of AML in quarterly and annual planning processes to ensure effective administration of the AML Program.
What we look for in you (ie. job requirements):
- 6+ years of relevant experience in AML governance and oversight at a large regulated financial institution
- Proven experience in AML program management, finding/issue management, and development of metrics and executive/board reporting for a global financial services firm.
- Proven people management experience leading a diverse team of Program stakeholders.
- Prior experience serving as a liaison for internal and external Auditors.
- Strong compliance instincts and risk mitigation mindset.
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills.
- Highly organized and adept at managing competing priorities, diverse stakeholder groups, and ambiguity.
- Strong critical thinker and problem solver, with meticulous attention to detail.
- Intellectual curiosity and interest in cryptocurrency.
- Flexibility and the ability to build relationships with internal stakeholders will be imperative to your success in this role.
Nice to haves:
- Advanced Degree/MBA or experience in management consulting
- Prior tech/start-up experience coupled with prior experience in traditional banks
- Management experience in a matrixed environment
- International experience
Coinbase is committed to diversity in its workforce and is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sex, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation or any other basis protected by applicable law. Coinbase will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. For US applicants, you may view Pay Transparency, Employee Rights and Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law notices by clicking on their corresponding links. Additionally, Coinbase participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations, as required by law.
Coinbase is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to [email protected] coinbase.com and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. For quick access to screen reading technology compatible with this site click here to download a free compatible screen reader (free step by step tutorial can be found here). Please contact [email protected] coinbase.com for additional information or to request accommodations.Global Data Privacy Notice for Job Candidates and Applicants
Depending on your location, the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) may regulate the way we manage the data of job applicants. Our full notice outlining how data will be processed as part of the application procedure for applicable locations is available here: Ireland/EU, United Kingdom, and California. By submitting your application, you are agreeing to our use and processing of your data as required.