Professional Services Project Manager at Planet
Welcome to Planet. We believe in using space to help life on Earth.
Planet designs, builds, and operates the largest constellation of imaging satellites in history. This constellation delivers an unprecedented dataset of empirical information via a revolutionary cloud-based platform to authoritative figures in commercial, environmental, and humanitarian sectors. We are both a space company and data company all rolled into one.
Customers and users across the globe use Planet's data to develop new technologies, drive revenue, power research, and solve our world’s toughest obstacles.
As we control every component of hardware design, manufacturing, data processing, and software engineering, our office is a truly inspiring mix of experts from a variety of domains.
We have a people-centric approach toward culture and community and we strive to iterate in a way that puts our team members first and prepares our company for growth. Join Planet and be a part of our mission to change the way people see the world.
Planet is headquartered in San Francisco, California, Earth.
About the Role:
Planet’s Professional Services team helps customers adopt the Planet Platform and rapidly realize return on investment in Planet data and analytics.
The Professional Services Project Manager is responsible for keeping projects on track through project planning, monitoring project schedule, financials and spend against budget, planning project resources, interfacing with all stakeholders and keeping them informed, and measuring team performance and improving continuously. This role requires extensive collaboration across many stakeholder teams at Planet, from Customer Success and Sales to Product Management and Engineering, so clear communication, both written and verbal is essential. Creative problem solving while working well with stakeholders and core team members is required.
This position is being offered full-time on-site in Planet Labs’ office in San Francisco, CA.
Impact You’ll Own:
- Coordinate the determination and definition of project scope and objectives
- Predict resources needed to reach objectives and manage resources in an effective and efficient manner
- Manage risks, issues, scope and decision logs
- Prepare budget based on scope of work and resource requirements
- Track project costs in order to meet budget; Manage project billings
- Develop and manage a detailed project schedule and work plan
- Provide project updates on a consistent basis to customer and internal stakeholders about progress, adjustments and strategy
- Manage contracts with subcontractors by setting expectations, assigning tasks and tracking deliverables
- Utilize best practices, techniques, and standards throughout entire project execution
- Monitor progress and make adjustments as needed
- Track risks/issues and change and decision logs
- Measure project performance to identify areas for improvement
- Work closely with Solution Engineers to deliver business value
What You Bring:
- Requires 5 or more years of working experience
- Prior experience working in software product development in a complex technical environment
- Team player; excellent collaboration skills; high-energy attitude
- Familiarity with software development practices and Agile
- Strong skills in facilitation, issue resolution and decision making across functional groups, both internally and externally, in a highly complex environment
- Strong listening ability: Be able to hear what is said, understand what is meant, communicate with stakeholders, and productively engage all involved members
- Exceptional communication and stakeholder management skills
- Problem solver with sound judgment and decision-making skills; Ability to pursue and resolve issues independently; Self starter, able to make progress with minimal oversight
- Ability to prioritize and assess impacts of issues on other resources
- Demonstrated attention to detail and follow-through
Benefits While Working at Planet:
- Comprehensive Health Plan
- Wellness program and onsite massages in specific offices
- Flexible Time Off
- Recognition Programs
- Commuter Benefits
- Learning and Tuition Reimbursement
- Parental Leave
- Offsites and Happy Hours
- Volunteering Benefits
Some Press About Us:
Our CEO, Will Marshall featured on TED and featured in a Planet Blog
“Planet: Bringing Space Back Down to Earth”
Tiny, privately owned satellites are changing how we view the Earth features in NBC News
“Planet And Rocket Lab Create Mission Patch To Honor Women In Aerospace” —Planet Blog
Why we care so much about Belonging.
We’re dedicated to helping the whole Planet, and to do that we must strive to represent all of it within each of our offices and on all of our teams. That’s why Planet is guided by an ultimate north star of Belonging, dreaming big as we approach our ongoing work with diversity, equity and inclusion. If this job intrigues you, but you’re thinking you might not have all the qualifications, please... do apply! At Planet, we are looking for well-rounded people from around the world who can contribute to more ways than just what is listed in this job description. We don’t just fill positions, we aspire to fulfill people’s careers, most excited about folks who are motivated by our underlying humanitarian efforts. We are a few orbits around the sun before we get to where we want to be, so we hope you’re excited to come along for the ride.