VP, Global Pre-Sales at Planet
Welcome to Planet. We believe in using space to help life on Earth.
Planet designs, builds, and operates the largest constellation of imaging satellites in history. This constellation delivers an unprecedented dataset of empirical information via a revolutionary cloud-based platform to authoritative figures in commercial, environmental, and humanitarian sectors. We are both a space company and data company all rolled into one.
Customers and users across the globe use Planet's data to develop new technologies, drive revenue, power research, and solve our world’s toughest obstacles.
As we control every component of hardware design, manufacturing, data processing, and software engineering, our office is a truly inspiring mix of experts from a variety of domains.
We have a people-centric approach toward culture and community and we strive to iterate in a way that puts our team members first and prepares our company for growth. Join Planet and be a part of our mission to change the way people see the world.
Planet is headquartered in San Francisco, California, Earth.
About the Role
As the Global Pre-sales Vice President, you will manage Planet’s Global Pre-sales team. Your team must accelerate deals through the sales funnel while ensuring proper technical feasibility and Product feedback. You will proactively work with Sales, Product and Engineering leads to define scalable processes for Planet’s global sales effort. Your team will build strong relationships with customers and engineering teams to ensure Planet products solve the customer’s business needs. Your contributions will directly impact Planet’s ability to scale sales and grow recurring revenue targets.
- Own the global pre-sales function and team metrics
- Manage Regional Pre-Sales Team Leaders, maintaining consistent best practices and metrics across the global teams
- Lead the evolution of Technical and Value Based interactions with customers, responsible for maintaining alignment between Pre-Sales and Command of the Message
- Work closely with sales, product, engineering, and customers to demystify the technical aspects of a deal
- Define and maintain sales engineering playbook, training and best practices
- Inform product roadmap and features based on customer requirements
- Demonstrate Planet platform capabilities to solve customer business problems
- Quickly identify customer business drivers and tie to Planet products/data
Required Professional Experience:
- Unending drive to build business and change the world
- 7+ years’ experience in a technical lead role
- 10+ years’ experience selling technical product or data set
- Previous experience in a similar role of building a world class technical sales team
- A demonstrated understanding of distributed systems, cloud platform, API and software tools
- Experience in leading teams building and documenting customer value propositions, including ROI and Customer Success Plans
- Familiarity with geo-spatial data, satellite imagery, and remote sensing
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability and willingness to travel - domestic and internationally
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or MBA or equivalent combination of technical education and work experience
Nice to Haves:
- Experience with Python scripts
- Direct sales experience
- Command of the Message completion
- Worked with Channel Partners and Strategic Alliances
Benefits While Working at Planet:
- Comprehensive Health Plan
- Wellness program and onsite massages in specific offices
- Flexible Time Off
- Recognition Programs
- Commuter Benefits
- Learning and Tuition Reimbursement
- Parental Leave
- Offsites and Happy Hours
- Volunteering Benefits
Some Press About Us:
Our CEO, Will Marshall featured on TED and featured in a Planet Blog
“Planet: Bringing Space Back Down to Earth”
Tiny, privately owned satellites are changing how we view the Earth features in NBC News
“Planet And Rocket Lab Create Mission Patch To Honor Women In Aerospace” —Planet Blog
Why we care so much about Belonging.
We’re dedicated to helping the whole Planet, and to do that we must strive to represent all of it within each of our offices and on all of our teams. That’s why Planet is guided by an ultimate north star of Belonging, dreaming big as we approach our ongoing work with diversity, equity and inclusion. If this job intrigues you, but you’re thinking you might not have all the qualifications, please... do apply! At Planet, we are looking for well-rounded people from around the world who can contribute to more ways than just what is listed in this job description. We don’t just fill positions, we aspire to fulfill people’s careers, most excited about folks who are motivated by our underlying humanitarian efforts. We are a few orbits around the sun before we get to where we want to be, so we hope you’re excited to come along for the ride.