VP of Sales, APJ at Planet
Welcome to Planet. We believe in using space to help life on Earth.
Planet designs, builds, and operates the largest constellation of imaging satellites in history. This constellation delivers an unprecedented dataset of empirical information via a revolutionary cloud-based platform to authoritative figures in commercial, environmental, and humanitarian sectors. We are both a space company and data company all rolled into one.
Customers and users across the globe use Planet's data to develop new technologies, drive revenue, power research, and solve our world’s toughest obstacles.
As we control every component of hardware design, manufacturing, data processing, and software engineering, our office is a truly inspiring mix of experts from a variety of domains.
We have a people-centric approach toward culture and community and we strive to iterate in a way that puts our team members first and prepares our company for growth. Join Planet and be a part of our mission to change the way people see the world.
Planet is headquartered in San Francisco, California, Earth.
About the Role:
We are seeking a Vice President of Sales to lead our efforts and our team in the Asia Pacific & Japan region. The ideal candidate is a senior and well connected individual with a proven track record of driving high growth in the region for US Tech companies. The individual will be a self-starter, independent thinker, and can strategize to continue to build, lead and inspire our team. The right person will have a strong customer orientation, will be able to expand our position with existing customers and bring our product into new market segments. You will be responsible for bridging cultures, and understand the nuances of these markets and how to most effectively bring our data into the following sectors: Civil National & Local Government and D&I, Agriculture, Energy & Infrastructure and, ESG. A track record of working with, and developing a thriving ecosystem of partners is critical. They will support leaders and their teams to identify, qualify, negotiate and close large-scale complex deals and exceed sales revenue targets. They will work strategically and creatively to support the team in developing an extensive pipeline. They will be Planet’s ambassador for the region and spokesperson for key events, press and Executive and Political engagements. Ideally they will have an industry understanding of geo-spatial and remote sensing, and know the customer segments in the markets. Above all else, enjoy our unique value proposition by simplifying complex commercial challenges and explaining why and how our geospatial data can address them.
What You Bring:
- 10+ years of Sales Leadership experience, including supporting and developing leaders at a high-growth company
- History of driving revenue to targets, penetrating new markets, and building thriving sales teams
- Experience selling to government and large enterprise customers with demonstrable understanding of sales life cycles
- Strong enterprise, DaaS, SaaS, and PaaS technical sales experience with tangible metrics of success
- Growth mindset and Customer first attitude
- Open and collaborative working style
- Ability to source, sell, co-sell, and close large deals
- Ability to act as a bridge between the company and its current and future markets
- Strong research aptitude applied to selling, relationship building, and closing
- Self-starter, able to work independently under tight deadlines in start-up environment
- Strong judgment and decision-making skills
- Critical thinking and creative problem-solving skills
- Excellent communication skills, including multiple languages
- The ability to interact successfully across cultures
- Demonstrated application of Strategic Sales Methodologies
- Track record of high forecast accuracy
What Makes You Stand Out:
- Vertical-specific expertise is a strong plus (government, agriculture, commodities, energy, insurance, forestry sales)
- Network of Senior Government and Executives contacts within the region
- Product development & product positioning experience
- Sales Ops experience (CRM, collateral development, pipeline tracking, etc)
- GTM Market Strategy - Experience developing and executing on plans to enter new markets, or bring new products to existing markets
- Command of the Message
Some Press About Us:
Our CEO, Will Marshall featured on TED and featured in a Planet Blog
“Planet: Bringing Space Back Down to Earth”
Tiny, privately owned satellites are changing how we view the Earth features in NBC News
“Planet And Rocket Lab Create Mission Patch To Honor Women In Aerospace” —Planet Blog
Why we care so much about Belonging.
We’re dedicated to helping the whole Planet, and to do that we must strive to represent all of it within each of our offices and on all of our teams. That’s why Planet is guided by an ultimate north star of Belonging, dreaming big as we approach our ongoing work with diversity, equity and inclusion. If this job intrigues you, but you’re thinking you might not have all the qualifications, please... do apply! At Planet, we are looking for well-rounded people from around the world who can contribute to more ways than just what is listed in this job description. We don’t just fill positions, we aspire to fulfill people’s careers, most excited about folks who are motivated by our underlying humanitarian efforts. We are a few orbits around the sun before we get to where we want to be, so we hope you’re excited to come along for the ride.
Planet is committed to building a community where everyone belongs and we invite people from all backgrounds to apply. Planet is an equal opportunity employer, and committed to providing employment opportunities regardless of race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, childbirth and breastfeeding, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other protected classification, in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws.
Planet is an inclusive community and we know that everyone has their own needs. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation during the interview process, please call Planet's front office at 669-214-9404 or contact your recruiter with your request. Your message will be confidential and we will be happy to assist you.