Check is leading a revolution in the payroll industry. Payroll is the backbone of the US economy, and yet it has not undergone significant innovation in decades. We invented the embedded payroll space to change that (see: Check: Solving the $150 Billion Payroll Problem, Bank On It; Episode 438), both for the business owners who spend countless hours per week running payroll and for the millions of Americans who depend on their next paycheck. At Check, our mission is to empower the most innovative software platforms to create new payroll businesses, and enable those businesses to transform the way companies pay their employees.
Check’s culture is intensely caring: to each other as teammates, to our partners, and to the businesses and workers we serve. Our teams are made up of creative problem solvers and empathetic cross-functional collaborators who can simplify the complexities of payroll. We bring hustle and grit to our day-to-day, while building enduring solutions and relationships.
The mission of the Solutions team is to accelerate revenue growth by applying technical knowledge in a consultative manner to drive better business outcomes for our partners. This is a vital piece of the partner journey from first conversation to GA launch of their to-be-built payroll product.
The Solutions Architect's primary focus will be guiding prospective partners through their payroll evaluation journey, focusing on leveraging product and industry knowledge to arrive at a technical solution that meets the needs of the partner -- the “technical win”. In collaboration with Strategic Sales, the Solutions Architect will be directly instrumental in helping our partners build the business case for their new payroll product line.
In this role, you will:
- Partner with account executives in the pre-sales stage to design solutions that solve critical business challenges for some of the largest platforms and fastest-growing companies
- Work closely with engineers, product managers, and technical leaders evaluating Check to understand their needs through deep technical discovery
- Clearly articulate how Check solves the platform’s technical challenges that result in a technical and/or business win; Help sell the value of the Partner Engagement fee
- Identify key technical stakeholders in the deal and own the relationships to earn trust as Check being the leading embedded payroll partner
- Design holistic financial solutions using Check ’s APIs and products that clearly show where Check would be implemented in their platform. This could include deep dives on funds flows, onboarding, reporting, etc.
- Deliver a high-level plan on integration requirements and time to market; be the bridge between sales and partner engineering for technical knowledge transfers ahead of kickoffs
- Provide structured feedback and work closely with Check ’s product and engineering teams to make recommendations on future R&D investments based on what you’re hearing in the field
- Develop proof of concept applications built on top of Check , present technical demonstrations, and help Check customers make the most of their integration
Many backgrounds could fit this role, but ideal candidates will:
- 4+ years in a customer-facing, technical solutions role selling a differentiated software solution; experience advising on a compliance-driven solution is a plus
- Experience in full stack development and software architecture patterns, able to understand how a wide variety of technologies and systems interact with each other
- Great communication skills, comfortable explaining complex concepts to both technical and non-technical audiences
- Interest in solving open-ended business problems with a combination of technology and creative thinking
- Experience working in the sales lifecycle and driving outcomes in a customer-centric manner
- A background writing code in Python and/or Typescript, and excitement about learning new languages and technologies
- Experience integrating Check or other RESTful APIs into web applications
- Experience in systems design, with a background in building and deploying complex applications
- A background working in a similar customer-facing engineering role (e.g. solutions architect, sales engineer, or partner engineer)
What we offer:
In the US, Check offers company-sponsored medical, dental, vision, short-term/long-term disability and basic life insurance coverage to all full-time employees, effective on your first day of work. We also provide stock options, flexible PTO and sick leave, 16 weeks of fully paid parental leave for all new parents and flexible return-to-work, 9 annual holidays, a 401k retirement plan, and a $100 monthly stipend for home internet and mobile phone expenses. Benefits may vary outside the US.
The expected annual salary for this role is between $159,000 and $221,000, dependent upon each candidate’s unique experience and qualifications. Additionally, this role is expected to be eligible for performance-based compensation of $39,000 to $50,000 in the form of commission/performance bonuses.
Check is proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. Check is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for candidates with disabilities in our recruiting process. If you need any assistance or accommodations due to a disability, please let us know at [email protected] with “accommodations” in the subject line.
Check participates in E-Verify and will provide the federal government with Form I-9 information from all new employees to confirm that they are authorized to work in the U.S. Check does not use E-Verify to pre-screen applicants.